DME volume/weight

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewDey

Reaction score
So the 50 lbs. of DME arrived yesterday (yay). I figure I'll need to get a scale eventually, but the funds are a bit low (in light of the 50 lbs). Does anyone know what the volume/weight ratio is for that stuff?

It's really hard to have an accurate ratio when you're talking about a powder since they compact. A really cheap scale would still be much more accurate, even a dollar-store quality scale would work fine.

HB99 is right...Digital scales are great because they don't use springs that wear out. Accurate forever. I know funds are tights, but they are well worth every penny.

Yeah, I have a digital-but it's only good for smaller weights :p

It'll probably be worth the investment-just impatient

The fact that I have all that malt paid for already is a great feeling!

if you have a Bed Bath and Beyond near you, they have a really good kitchen scale selection. We got a Salton for like $25 that does ounces, pounds, grams, kilos, and has a zero out feature, which makes it hella easy for me to split my recipes in half since I do two smaller boils in tandem, then combine in the fermenter.

BrewDey said:
Yeah, I have a digital-but it's only good for smaller weights :p

It'll probably be worth the investment-just impatient

The fact that I have all that malt paid for already is a great feeling!

If you have a scale with less capacity than required just add up the smaller quantities until you reach the desired total weight.

Back