Extra Wort for Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robnog

Reaction score
After I finished brewing today, I found that I had an extra 1 qt of 1.015 wort from the mashing tun. I also had 1 qt of 1.050 which I strained from the trub in my kettle (so a total of 2 qts of 1.033). I put it all in a growler and then put it in the fridge.

I want to keep this and either use it as a starter (or maybe use it to prime). I just have 2 questions:

Is there anything special I need to do before using it (other than boil)?
How long will it keep?

Thanks,

-Rob

That is what I just did as well. I have a gallon of 1.036 wort that I plan to boil down for a starter. I am not sure how long it will keep but I will use it within 10-14 days so I think it will be OK.

I generally freeze my left-over wort in zip-top bags or coke bottles. This way you don't have to worry about something growing in there.

Kai

I would not worry about it if you are going to use it as a starter within the next week or two. If you plan on keeping it longer then freeze it.
It would be perfect for a starter. Just boil like usual and add the yeast and some nutrient.

Latest posts

Back