I need a good label printer, suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jumbo82

Reaction score
First, some background. I could be getting my Brewer's Notice for Squam Brewing from the TTB as early as next week. Then it will be another 2-3 weeks for approval from the NH Liquor Commission. My first couple of labels are being designed now. If all goes smoothly and as planned, I could be selling beer in June or July. And that means I'll need to print labels.

I've been in contact with another small commercial brewer and found out that he uses the Zeo! Inkjet Label Printer http://www.quicklabel.com/products/label_printers/zeo.html . Unfortunately, the $2,995 price tag is quite a bit more than I want to spend. I'll likely need about 180 labels per week and for this scale operation its not easy to get labels made commercially (minimum orders of 5000 are common, and I doubt I would use even a fraction of that for any one beer). As far as I can tell, my only other options are as follows;
1) Buy a quality color printer and use Avery labels or something similar
2) Go to a Kinkos or another copying store and have them print me off a bunch onto label paper
3) Find someone with a Zeo! or other quality label printer and pay them to print me off labels as I need them

Anybody have any advice for me? I was originally leaning towards option 1 so that I could make them as I need them and wouldn't be relying on someone else. Assuming I go with option 1, what printer and labels should I use? I'll be using color pictures on my labels and I want them to look professional. Also, my bar codes need to show up, so a hack printing job could make them useless. I need help. Thanks.

yep I was looking around and found a few places on line that does smaller quantaties.
But I'll have to go back to google and find them. I also think Josh was looking into someone doing printed labels for us.

Keeps your labels with the same basic color info, background and brewery name. Have label sheets printed and do the final beer specific info & name printed in black on a regular laser. That way you can print high quantities of the label and personalize each time.

Used to own a small digital printing company and we did this kind of thing all the time.

Thanks for all the input, guys. Very helpful. Right now I'm leaning towards this unit http://www.primerastore.com/refurbished_lx400 (thanks, coy!). Labels are about 10 cents each for 4"x6". If it turns out they aren't suitable for bottles, then I may look for a local printer shop or get something like the Xerox Phaser 8560. Samc, I like that ideal of buying the basic template in bulk and then just putting my own customization on it. I think I need to shop around and compare the per unit cost of each of these options. I don't know what I'd do if I didn't have HBT as a resource. You guys are the best. :mug:

Back