Accidently brought AG instead of Extract - need help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stagstout

Reaction score
Fellows,
I ordered a October fest from MoreBeer.com and to my surprise it was an AG. Without the capabilities for AG, I was hoping you could help me out and convert it to a PM or Extract.

Here is the grain bill:

8 lbs of 2-Row
2 lbs of Munich
8 oz of Caravienne
8 oz of Caramunich
8 oz of Aromatic

This is a lager kit.

If you guy have any suggestions, I would love to hear them. I did try beersmith, but unfortunatley the free trial doesn't allow you to convert the grain bill. Please help as my homebrew stock is getting low!

Steve

If you have a thermometer, I would think you could piece together some sort of system and brew the batch. Your efficiency might suffer, but you could probably get 4 gallons. How big a brew pot do you have?? Have you got a cooler? How handy are ya?? Do you have a reacking cane?

It's really up to you, as you mention you could just use the grains in the future or try and push forward with an all grain batch, kind of depends how adventurous you feel.

YOU POSTED THIS TWICE.

Once is enough.

Here is my reply....again.

Go to Wal Mart and get a 5 gallon drink cooler....Stop by the Hardware store on the way home with a picture of either My or BierMunchers...or countless other manifolds, and tell them you need the pars to make that.

$50 later you're AG Baby...never to over pay for Extract again.
(you may need to think about a turkey fryer or something or you'll need to do 2 boils.)
So maybe bump that # to like $90 and never to over pay for Extract again.

PHP:
TYPE: Partial Mash
Taste: (35.0) 

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal      
Boil Size: 6.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.058 SG
Estimated Color: 10.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 0.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU      
5 lbs 7.3 oz  Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM)             Extract      54.40 %       
1 lbs 13.5 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)            Grain        18.36 %       
1 lbs 13.4 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM)                     Grain        18.34 %       
6.3 oz        Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM)                  Grain        3.96 %        
4.0 oz        Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM)                Grain        2.47 %        
4.0 oz        Caravienne Malt (22.0 SRM)                Grain        2.47 %

It doesn't like this recipe as an extract only brew due to it doesnt fully convert out.

Thanks guys.
This AG kit will have to be done by AG method since I just realized that the grains are cracked and all in one bag. No sense in trying to sort out only the grains I need for a extract method. I will give it a whirl, and if anything, I can just chalk this up as an great experience so no harm done.
Again thanks for all the replys.

Steve

I have a grain bag that's probably big enough for that grain bill... I'm sure you could find one if you looked hard enough.

That could make it really easy and be cheaper than buying all the rest of the stuff... UNLESS you're ready to make the plunge that is.

Simple answer, go to a hardware store and buy a 5 gal paint strainer bag, also pick up 2 lbs of LME/DME. Do a massive steeping at 150F for 60 minutes, Rinse bag with boiling water. Boil, hop, take sample adjust for volume and add any LME/DME needed to hit target OG.
Cool, pitch yeast, ferment, condition, drink.
Hey, I could walk through this drunk, you can do it sober!

Back