What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome!

(and is it wrong of me to brew beer in my underwear? it's 96f inside right now. think i'm roasting as much as the black patent malt i used must have been!)

IMG_8819.jpg

Got out the beer gun and bottled 12 of everything on tap - IPA, Porter and Lager. Lotta work nice to have the bottles for sharing and comparing to future batches

I have furnace filters and a fan for drying. They are not quite ready for picking just yet, but I need to be ready to vacuum seal.
then by all means, next day a food-saver...LODO and all that stuff, don't want any oxygen in your hops to contaminate your boil! it might be good for drying, but maybe liquid nitrogen would be better (and yes, i'm very drunk, and ready for bed!) good night HBT...

i look forward to purging my keg of water with 30 psi of co2 in the morning....

edit: too find out if it would be a leak, science and all...

Picked up the yeast and grain for my Christmas beer, which I'll be brewing Friday. I'm doing a 2.5 gallon spiced cherry dubbel. It'll be called 4. There will be 4 pounds of cherries added, and 4 is one of the LOST numbers (all my beers are a refernece to LOST, thanks to my awesome tap handle HWMBO bought for me). View attachment 640870

Attachments

• 1566404419936.jpeg
    1566404419936.jpeg
    140.3 KB · Views: 42
Tapped my East Seattle Goldings (ESG) harvest ale today. I'm pretty pleased. Approximately 2# of EKG grown in the Seattle eastern suburbs + 5 gallons + terroir = ESG. Ha ha, just south of me in an eastern Seattle suburb is a town named "Kent". Anyhoo, it is a pretty tasty fresh hop that ripened pretty early this year and is worth drinking.

ESG harvest ale.jpg
I have Tettnanger and N Brewer ripening on the vine even as we speak. Labor day ales for when theseripen and I get back from a business trip in time.

Attachments

• ESG harvest ale.jpg
    ESG harvest ale.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 29
Kegged the WF lager I brewed last Sunday (YES 6 days grain to keg) as a fun experiment; gravity got to 1.011 from 1.060 as of yesterday, so did a quick crash and kegged it today sans gelatin because I don't care on this one if it's clear or not. Tastes terrific, no 'young' flavor like the last one, which I'm attributing to 3rd gen S23 that it fermented on (also slightly overpitched probably). I've had nothing but my Apple/Cherry cider on tap for the last week so going to quick carb this one. Would it be better with another week? Possibly. Do I care? No. Tastes good to me and has all the characteristics of a good lager, so I'm running with it. Maybe a bit too strong on bitterness but Chinook can do that. Still tastes fantastic, still sipping on the flat sample in my red solo cup.

I won a $50 Amazon gift card at a company function so, naturally, it was time to buy some brewing stuff!
Ended up getting a pound of chocolate malt, brown malt, and munich, as well as a new auto-siphon and a pack of sa05. Came out to $50 even with tax so it was indeed meant to be!

I bottled my kolsch made with Mecca Grade malts and Liberty hops. That malt is no joke! It tastes so good, I've been doing a little dance in the kitchen the whole evening while sipping on the leftovers. Definitely making this again, probably a double batch!

OnePlate, is the Mecca Grade malt "Shaniko" from Shaniko Oregon? I ordered some but had a sanitation issue and had to pour it out. Wondering if I should order more as my LHBS doesn't carry it.

OnePlate, is the Mecca Grade malt "Shaniko" from Shaniko Oregon? I ordered some but had a sanitation issue and had to pour it out. Wondering if I should order more as my LHBS doesn't carry it.

Mecca Grade is from Madras, Oregon but yeah, I assume it's named after the ghost town of Shaniko that's north of Madras. (I had to Google that) Fitting name I guess for white wheat malt?

Northern Brewer is the only retailer (online) I've seen that carries the whole line of their malts. I wish the malt didn't cost so much but damn it's so tasty, I'm thinking I might ask for a sack of the pilsner malt for Xmas this year (much cheaper in bulk).

Transferred my Belgian dubbel to the keg. Now trying to figure out what to do with my hop plants that aren't ready to harvest and a hurricane is coming Sunday!
20190828_225342.jpeg

Mecca Grade is from Madras, Oregon but yeah, I assume it's named after the ghost town of Shaniko that's north of Madras. (I had to Google that) Fitting name I guess for white wheat malt?
Just an aside, Shaniko is not a ghost town. It's a real fly spec of a place. I watched the total solar eclipse there 2 summers ago.

Wow! Do you think your beer will improve? I want samples!!

I think my motivation to brew regularly will improve which will, in turn, improve my beer by practice. I also think having a reliable system will allow me to pinpoint flaws in my recipe/process a bit better. I've made good beer with my haphazard jank-machine brew setup but I'm hoping brew days will be more relaxed versus waiting for the next "oh ****, what now?" moment. I've been brewing for about 7 years so it's time for some bog kid stuff.

I'll be back in the fellowship of the Homebrew soon enough and I will gladly swap samples with you.

Back