Please Calculate my OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRainH2o

Reaction score
Hi all. I brewed Jamil's Evil Twin 10 days ago. Here is the original recipe:

6 Gallon Boil
OG 1.066
FG 1.016
90 min boil

12lb British Pale Malt
1 lb Crystal 40
1 lb Munich Malt 8L
.5 lb Victory Malt 25L
.5 lb Crystal 120L
.25 lb Pale Chocolate Malt 200L

My LHBS converted it to an extract as follows:

2 cans LME - 3.3 lb each
2 lb DME
12 oz DME

I brewed it up, cooled it down to 68˚ and took SG reading. It came in at 1.09 !!! Anyway, I racked into my primary and noticed that I only had 4.25 gallons of wort so I added a little over 3/4 gallons of water, aerated and pitched. I did mix well but I am sure it was not enough to give me an accurate OG, so I didn't check. I didn't want to risk keeping the lid off for too long.

Can someone please help calculate my OG based on the above info?
Any ideas why my measured OG was so far off? Granted it was a 90 min boil but I kept it to a low boil. Maybe the conversion to extract was a bit off. Thanks.

I checked my SG today and I am at 1.020. I must say that this is the tastiest brew I have made to date. I am so tempted to keg it now but I haven't quite hit my anticipated FG yet.

If you diluted 4.25 gallons of 1.090 wort with .75 gallons of water, you would have an OG of 1.077.

If you diluted 4.25 gallons of 1.090 wort with .75 gallons of water, you would have an OG of 1.077.

Thanks. How did you calculate that, just in case I run across this situation again? I'm sure I could dig back to my high school days algebra if needed. That would take some thought. :D

WOW !!! If those numbers are correct, I'm sitting at 7.6% ABV right now. The anticipated ABV was listed as 6.66%.

I come up with 1.071 with that much extract. Your first reading may have been off a little bit, but if you have 5 gallons with those ingredients, your OG was 1.071 or so.

To figure ABV, just use this formula: (OG-FG) x 131 = ABV

So, (1.071-1.020) x 131 = 6.69%

I come up with 1.071 with that much extract. Your first reading may have been off a little bit, but if you have 5 gallons with those ingredients, your OG was 1.071 or so.

To figure ABV, just use this formula: (OG-FG) x 131 = ABV

So, (1.071-1.020) x 131 = 6.69%

Thanks YopperBrew.

Thanks. How did you calculate that, just in case I run across this situation again? I'm sure I could dig back to my high school days algebra if needed. That would take some thought. :D

I'd calculate it as (4.25 * 1.09 + 0.75 * 1.00) / 5 = 1.0765 = 1.077.

UPDATE.......I just kegged it two days ago. I have to say, this is the first beer that I have made that I would actually buy. It didn't finish off exactly where it should have. It stopped at 1.019 and it should have hit 1.016, estimated. When the recipe says Approximate Final Gravity, what kind of a spread is generally acceptable?

I've made a German Ale, Pale Ale, Northern English Brown Ale and a Belgian Strong Ale. This is my first "REAL" beer in my opinion. No complaints. I will be brewing this one again.

Latest posts

Back