Magic Chef 7.2 not cooling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvilTOJ

Reaction score
I just bought a Magic Chef 7.2 cu ft off of craigslist. I made the huge mistake of not having him make sure it works before buying it, because when I brought it home and plugged it in, it's not working. I plug it in and turn it on, the lights and the compressor turn on, but it doesn't cool. I unplugged it and left it alone for a day, but still no joy. The temperature light doesn't come on, and I tried turning on the Quick Freeze switch and also running it with the switch off.

Is it worth trying to fix, or am I just out some bucks? I'd really hate to have to ditch it, it's the perfect size and height for four kegs, and the collar's already half made.

Did the ad say it ran, and have you contacted the seller? The first freezer I bought the lady told me the shelves came out. Stupidly I didn't confirm that before taking delivery. I contacted her but a friend of mine bought it off me before she got back to me. The next one I bought the guy said "Email me if it doesn't work and we'll figure something out."

Sounds like it is out of freon. Look to see if there is a 'tap' on the line some where. That would indicate it was tested or filled at some point.

The ad did say it ran. I tried to contact him but he didn't email me, he called. I couldn't find his number in my past call log, so I can't get ahold of him, except to show up at his house (which I won't do). Where would I get freon, and how much would it cost?

The ad did say it ran. I tried to contact him but he didn't email me, he called. I couldn't find his number in my past call log, so I can't get ahold of him, except to show up at his house (which I won't do). Where would I get freon, and how much would it cost?

Not that easy. First you have to get a license. Depending on age, it could be expensive. R12 is getting harder to find and is very costly now days.

How much did you pay for the freezer? You can get your call log from your phone company (my cell phone log from AT&T is available online) but if you didn't pay very much, you might as well just toss it if you can't find a place to repair it.

Back