Uncommon Victory?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveooph131

Reaction score
Would it be acceptable and/or tasty to put .50# of victory malt in a california common?

I am planning an extract, and would like to steep 1# crystal 60l and .50# victory...

Victory isn't a steeping grain. It has 0% diastatic power, meaning it needs to be mashed. If you steep it, all you'll get is a touch of color (it's much lighter than the Crystal you're already steeping). You'll waste your money.

What's amazing is that on some other forums and vendors, they list it as steep-able, but Palmer lists it among the kilned malts that must be mashed.

If you're looking for a bit of the biscuity-flavor that Victory provides, try a smaller bit of Special B (say, .25lb or less). That's a malt that can be steeped or mashed.

Victory isn't a steeping grain. It has 0% diastatic power, meaning it needs to be mashed. If you steep it, all you'll get is a touch of color (it's much lighter than the Crystal you're already steeping). You'll waste your money.

What's amazing is that on some other forums and vendors, they list it as steep-able, but Palmer lists it among the kilned malts that must be mashed.

If you're looking for a bit of the biscuity-flavor that Victory provides, try a smaller bit of Special B (say, .25lb or less). That's a malt that can be steeped or mashed.

Wow!!! Great advice, thanks. Ya the website I was looking at said Victory was steepable, but you're right it's not when I referenced with one of my books. Thanks again. So Special B. Yea I might give that a try, or I might just stick with the crystal.

Wow. Um. Yeh. OK. Uh..

I wouldn't have guessed that Victory was ANYTHING like Special B.
Special B ~= Crystal 150L
Victory ~= Toasted 30L

To me Special B is very, very sweet. It's good in many beers, but I wouldn't use it in a beer that already had enough crystal in it.

If you "steep" the .5# victory and 1# crystal along with 1.5# 2-row and steep it at 150-155 for 45 minutes with one gallon of water, then that will work just fine because it would then be a mash.

Wow. Um. Yeh. OK. Uh..

I wouldn't have guessed that Victory was ANYTHING like Special B.
Special B ~= Crystal 150L
Victory ~= Toasted 30L

I concur with this assessment of the situation at hand.

If you want the Victory, throw in a lb. of 2-row, which will convert itself and the Victory. At this point, you're doing a small mini-mash, which is a good thing. Better beer with no special equipment needed.

Yup. No similarity whatever.

And I've had success steeping Victory in small amounts. While I extract no fermentables, I do see extraction of color and flavor. Overuse will lead to haze problems, but in the 5% of the grist or so at which is Victory usually used, haze shouldn't be a problem.

Bob

+1 on just making the easy step from steeping up to a mini mash. Partial mash brewing really isn't any harder than steeping grains and it gives you SO much more that you can do with your beer.

I think it will taste good. You'll probably get some starch, but not a lot if you steep. The flavors will come through and with that much C60L, you'll never notice the color difference.

Back