Forgot spices during boil.....what to do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schupaul

Reaction score
Just realized that I made a dogfish clone the other day and forgot to add the spices during the last 15min of the boil. Is it ok to add them to the primary while it is activley fermenting? Will it make much of a difference in flavor or should I just forget them all together?

I'd just go ahead and add them. Won't hurt anything, and I don't think it'll come out any stronger right now. Some spice flavor does seem to blow off during fermentation, so maybe cut it back a little. You can always add more later.

try added them to your secondary and letting it go for while longer than normal. ive done this with a few brews and theyve actually come out better the second time when ive put them in the secondary vs. in the boil. Then again it depends on the spice in question.

Brew up a tea with them adding to the secondary. that way you cut the risk of infection and can sample till you get the balance you are looking for.

Back