Mash Tun - Need a Shopping list

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopsalot

Reaction score
I want to buy enough grains to brew 3 ag batches, I estimate around 30 lbs of grain. I want to brew pale ales and Ipa's. If some one has the time can you help me come up with a shopping list that I could purchase from www.austinhomebrew.com. thanks for your time
:mug:

If you're buying only enough ingredients for 3 batches, you are probably better off simply picking three recipes and buying the ingredients for them.

I'd go with the all-grain kits they have as well.

Let the pro's measure out the ingredients. You'll get a listing of their ingredients and then you can tweak recipes from there.

Here's an example. Make sure to select "Milled All Grain" from the drop down.

Good recommendations above.

If you still want to buy bulk grain, I think you may need a bit more than 30 pounds. For reference, my PA recipe uses 10.5 pounds of pale malt. I add more stuff, but at a minimum, I would add some Crystal. My IPA uses 13 pounds of pale malt.

Get a mill, buy a whole sack of ale malt, and buy only the specialty grains, pre-milled,
that your chosen recipes call for. The majority of the grain in any recipe is base grain, and there will be only a few pounds of a few types of special grains that you must buy per pound. My LHBS sells sacks for about $33. Sure you pay tax locally, but cheaper than mail order. Beats upwards of 1.20/lb!

You can pay off the mill in savings with a few whole sacks of base malt, control your grind and efficiency, while having the freshest grind-when-needed malt available.

Start thinking big and long term.

The manager at the Liquid Town told me he can piggyback sacks of grain with his normal orders. I couldn't afford it alone but if you want to go in on it I'm down....

Or simply a few big orders from www.austinhomebrew.com either way It'd be cool...

Latest posts

Back