10cu ft chest freezer big enough?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lazy8s

Reaction score
I am looking for someone to help me find any "gotchas" before I seal the deal on this 10cu ft chest freezer from CL. The inner dimensions are:
31 3/8" L
18" W
29" Deep

the compressor shelf is
20" Deep
11 3/8" Wide

I am really hoping to fit 2 cornies, a 5gal glass carboy and the 5# co2. I the cornies I get are 9" the I should be able to fit two front to back (assuming they are exactly 9") or perhaps offsetthem by an inch, the carboy next to it, and the co2 on the shelf. In the future if I decide to I could get a separate mini fridge for the carboy and add 2 more cornies.

I have read the forms for a few weeks and I know I SHOULD get the cornies first and then take cut outs to the guy's house to check but the freezer is only $100 (cheapest I have seen for this size by about half in the last couple of weeks) so I am really tempted.

Any thoughts please? Even "yep" or "you are crazy" would be helpful. Thanks.

Any chance you can get the make and model # off of it? I'd be willing to bet that somebody has made a keezer out of most major brands and posted it somewhere on this site.

I e-mailed about the model number and I'm waiting to hear back. I shouldn't need a collar for this should I? I can put the vertical tap dispensers and drip tray up top. The cornies are 23" to my knowledge so 29" is plenty and the co2 tank is short enough to fit on the shelf right?

Some people have problems with towers on freezers. Sometimes you have to reinforce the top to keep the tower from warping the metal when opened. Obviously, the drip tray needs to be moved or cleaned and dried each time you open the top. Finally, be sure the freezer isn't against the wall when you open the top because the tower will hit the wall and if your faucet handles are above the tower height (which they almost always are) you may well open the faucets when you open your freezer top.

Doing the math this is 7cuft not 10 I had the wrong freezer. I tried googling what he gave me: It's a Kenmore Coolspot model #2539108180. I can't come up with anything but if looks like Coldsppt is the freezer and Coolspot is a fridge...

Also this was a kegerator so there is a hole up top where the dispenser used to be. Should I be concerned with this? Anything to check?

Also I have never purchased off of CL should I make him plug it in or anything first?

Back