Chest Freezer Specs and Layouts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys. I've now ordered the Amana AZC31T15DW so we'll see in a week or two once it arrives! I'll chime back in once I have it in case it helps anyone else on the fence...

Kal

Haier 14.8 Cu Ft HF15CM10NW
It appears to be white only color option from the website
Online only and available
Sam's $369 with free shipping with in store pick up -- Amazon $580 -- Appliance Warehouse $549
Unit Exterior Dimensions(WxDxH) inches 55-8/16 x 29-5/16 x 33-1/4 147lbs
Interior Dimensions (WxDxH) inches 49-3/4 x 20 x 28-1/4
Hump size (WxDxH) inches 9-3/8 x ????? x 9-7/8 -- I am awaiting response from the manufacturer I should have available in the next couple of days. If you want me to repost when I have that data that is fine or I can add it when I receive it.
This freezer has an interior light and lock and key, temperature control and defrost drain.

website link if desired http://www.haier.com/us/products/ki...t&utm_source=AskAndAnswer&utm_content=Default

GE 5.0cf FCM5SUWW

Download this specification sheet and layout as a high-resolution printable PDF at Dropbox.

By the way, this is the same as the discontinued Idylis ICM050LC. I bought one on craigslist a few months ago. I really wish I had seen this post because I ended up doing all of the same calcs! Thanks anyways for putting this together.

Also, my pin lock kegs are exactly 9 inches in diameter and just BARELY fit diagonally across. I need to force them down and am probably damaging the freezer a bit so I'm going to shave off part of the rubber that protrudes past the keg diameter. Had I known that the kegs were not under 9", like advertised everywhere else on the internet, I would have probably shelled out a bit more for the ball locks - oh well, they still fit :rockin:!

I'm having sorta a hard time finding a 7cu ft. Chestfreezer under $200 or at $200 that will hold my 5 gallon AEB keg. The gas in line when connected to my keg sticks up to 26 3/4 inches. I won't be doing a collar for a while and it seems a lot of chest freezes are 26 1/2 inch inside height.

The 7.2 cu. ft. Igloo that Walmart sells I read someone mentioning a few pages back lists on Walmarts site that the product height is only 26 inches.

Best Buy does not sell the Igloo FRF472 anymore but they have the FRF710 on sale for $179 but under the specs it doesn't list the interior height.

Thanks guys. I've now ordered the Amana AZC31T15DW so we'll see in a week or two once it arrives! I'll chime back in once I have it in case it helps anyone else on the fence...
To close the loop: I've now received the Amana AZC31T15DW freezer and it is indeed identical to the Maytag 14.8cf MQC1552TEW described here:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=4731064&postcount=24

I have 10 ball lock kegs in it now. No issues getting them all in. Fits well.

Good luck!

Kal

Does anyone know if the Igloo FRF520 (that Best Buy is selling for $160) is the same size as the FRF452? I need to make sure that the FRF200 will hold 3 pin lock kegs and a 5lb C02 tank.

Does anyone know if the Igloo FRF520 (that Best Buy is selling for $160) is the same size as the FRF452? I need to make sure that the FRF200 will hold 3 pin lock kegs and a 5lb C02 tank.

I would like to know about this also as it pertains to my question.

If I didn't live over an hour away from Best Buy I would be driving there to do mesurements on both Igloo models on sale.

I would like to know about this also as it pertains to my question.

If I didn't live over an hour away from Best Buy I would be driving there to do mesurements on both Igloo models on sale.

I will try to get to a Best Buy today or tomorrow and will take some measurements.

I've been looking at the local Craigslist postings. Does anybody know how the GE FCM5SUCWW differs from the GE FCM5SUWW model listed here?

Also, does anybody have the specs or know what fits into the new Haier HF71CL53NW model without a collar? Thanks!

does anyone know what will fit in this freezer?

Danby DCF1014WE 10cu ft

someone has a 5 year old one for sale by me, for $75 canadian. I was thinking of offering $50....I only need room for 5 taps/kegs, as that is what I currently have waiting for the freezer now.

this was the info I found on anby's website:

Dimensions
Product Width 106.6cm 42 2/16"
Product Depth 60.9cm 24 2/16"
Product Height 86.3cm 34 5/8"

Capacity
By Volume 283.20 Liters 10.00 cu. ft.

I bought everything but a freezer from a guy who tore his Keezer apart and kept the freezer. I have manifold, beer lines, CO2 lines, shanks, taps, handles :)...

thanks,

If you get the chance, I'd be interested in knowing more about the Igloo FRF710 as well. Thanks!

Thank you! I really appreciate it.

I made it to Best Buy today. They did not have the Igloo FRF710 in stock but they did have the 5.1 (FRF520).

I measured the interior of the FRF520 as 23 1/4W x 15D x 27 1/4H. The hump is 7 1/2W x 8 5/8H. I also was able to bring 9" circles to represent pin lock kegs and it looks to me as though it will fit 3 pin lock 5 gallon kegs.

I made it to Best Buy today. They did not have the Igloo FRF710 in stock but they did have the 5.1 (FRF520).

I measured the interior of the FRF520 as 23 1/4W x 15D x 27 1/4H. The hump is 7 1/2W x 8 5/8H. I also was able to bring 9" circles to represent pin lock kegs and it looks to me as though it will fit 3 pin lock 5 gallon kegs.

Thank you very much! Looks like I'm gonna requisition me a truck and make the trip to Best Buy!

Thank you very much! Looks like I'm gonna requisition me a truck and make the trip to Best Buy!

This freezer looks like it is identical, or very close, to the Idylis ICM050LC that I have. Let me warn you that the pin lock kegs will be very tough to get down on the floor. The issue is that the rubber along the bottom of the kegs bows out a bit and makes the diameter greater than 9 inches :smack:. The solution, which I have yet to try, is to shave off a little bit of the rubber in the areas that the two kegs meet and the areas that touch the walls.

Another good tip I picked up in the forum is that the kegs are, usually, not perfectly cylindrical; the kegs are slightly smaller across the keg (from left to right) as shown in the image below. If you align the kegs so that the shortest edges meet at the center of the floor, you'll have a little better luck getting them in. I would still shave off a little rubber if I were you. Another option would be to get ball lock kegs, which is what I would do if I had to start all over.

5_gallon_cornelious_keg_pin_lock_used_top_close_up.jpg

This freezer looks like it is identical, or very close, to the Idylis ICM050LC that I have. Let me warn you that the pin lock kegs will be very tough to get down on the floor. The issue is that the rubber along the bottom of the kegs bows out a bit and makes the diameter greater than 9 inches :smack:. The solution, which I have yet to try, is to shave off a little bit of the rubber in the areas that the two kegs meet and the areas that touch the walls.

Another good tip I picked up in the forum is that the kegs are, usually, not perfectly cylindrical; the kegs are slightly smaller across the keg (from left to right) as shown in the image below. If you align the kegs so that the shortest edges meet at the center of the floor, you'll have a little better luck getting them in. I would still shave off a little rubber if I were you. Another option would be to get ball lock kegs, which is what I would do if I had to start all over.

5_gallon_cornelious_keg_pin_lock_used_top_close_up.jpg

Thanks for this. Before reading your warning I ordered 3 pin lock kegs. Even after reading your post I think I still would have ordered the pin lock due to cost. I will let everyone know how tight the fit is once I get everything.

Just pick up a freezer from Craigslist, $125, 5.0 cubic foot, Holiday brand, thanks for the spec sheet, ordering about 3 ball lock kegs. Once I confirmed that freeze works well, will start on collar, pics to follow up progress. Thanks"

I ended up getting the Igloo FRF710 7.1 cu ft Chest Freezer from Best Buy on sale for $170. Below are the internal dimensions for anybody interested:

Internal:
27 7/8" h
31 3/4" w
15 1/8" d

Hump:
8 3/4" h
8 5/8" w

Without a collar, it can easily fit my 3 ball lock Corny kegs and 5# CO2 tank with plenty of room to spare and nothing on the hump at all. It would also be able to fit 1 corny keg, 5# CO2, and 6.5 gallon carboy with nothing on the hump. Unfortunately, it isn't big enough to fit 4 Corny kegs in the main area without a collar.

I picked up two Igloo FRF520's. One for a keezer and the other for cold crashing and fermenting. 3 pin lock kegs fit perfectly.

4ECpIME.jpg

YoKWnhD.jpg

It looks like you fit two kegs on the bottom without modifying the kegs? I thought I read elsewhere in the thread that the two kegs don't fit well because the rubber bottom is larger than nine inch diameter. Did you have any issues? I just bought one today at Best Buy for $150 but I haven't picked it up yet.

I picked up two Igloo FRF520's. One for a keezer and the other for cold crashing and fermenting. 3 pin lock kegs fit perfectly.

4ECpIME.jpg

YoKWnhD.jpg

It looks like you fit two kegs on the bottom without modifying the kegs? I thought I read elsewhere in the thread that the two kegs don't fit well because the rubber bottom is larger than nine inch diameter. Did you have any issues? I just bought one today at Best Buy for $150 but I haven't picked it up yet.

I didnt measure the diameter of my kegs but they are pin lock and they fit without modification.

I didnt measure the diameter of my kegs but they are pin lock and they fit without modification.

I may have just been unlucky - I had to work pretty hard to fit two pin locks on the lower area. I'm glad to see that most pin locks should work as these are great for a 3 tap keezer! My only comment is that I wish I had more taps ;)

So I'm sure this has been asked and maybe answered but i'll ask anyways. I have a GE 7cf right now and it fits the 4 on the floor like a glove. I'm looking to go to the next size up, something in the 8cf range. I am hoping to get 5 on the floor and one on the hump but still be as compact as possible. SWMBO has been gracious to let have one in the first place.

What is everyones opinion as the best option int the 8cf class range?

So I'm sure this has been asked and maybe answered but i'll ask anyways. I have a GE 7cf right now and it fits the 4 on the floor like a glove. I'm looking to go to the next size up, something in the 8cf range. I am hoping to get 5 on the floor and one on the hump but still be as compact as possible. SWMBO has been gracious to let have one in the first place.

What is everyones opinion as the best option int the 8cf class range?

According to the data sheets on this thread, the Kenmore 16922 is your best choice at 8.8cf. I have a friend who has the same keezer with 6 pin locks and he loves it. You could get 7 ball locks in there if that's what you're working with.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=5616149&postcount=248

Haier 5.0cf HCM050EC

Reserved.

Has anyone looked into this as a fermentation chamber? I am wondering if I need to start calling around to see the inner height with the lid closed. And if I can fit 2 better bottles in it or 1 bucket

I'm looking for a freezer that can fit two 6.5 fermentation buckets. Are there any current 5.5s that would fit these? The ones in the OP seem to be discontinued.

thanks babaganuj for the recommendation

I actually started out with that one but I couldn't fit 5 ball locks on the floor, does anyone have pic of a kenmore 8.8 fitting five on the floor?

Hunt River Brew Co responding remotely.

I ended up getting the Igloo FRF710 7.1 cu ft Chest Freezer from Best Buy on sale for $170. Below are the internal dimensions for anybody interested:

Internal:
27 7/8" h
31 3/4" w
15 1/8" d

Hump:
8 3/4" h
8 5/8" w

Without a collar, it can easily fit my 3 ball lock Corny kegs and 5# CO2 tank with plenty of room to spare and nothing on the hump at all. It would also be able to fit 1 corny keg, 5# CO2, and 6.5 gallon carboy with nothing on the hump. Unfortunately, it isn't big enough to fit 4 Corny kegs in the main area without a collar.

I'm looking for a freezer that can fit two 6.5 fermentation buckets. Are there any current 5.5s that would fit these? The ones in the OP seem to be discontinued.

I was asked if the Igloo FRF710 7.1 cu ft Chest Freezer would fit two 6.5 gallon bucket fermenters and the answer is YES. Given that they barely fit in this freezer off the hump and without a collar, my guess is that in order to fit into a 5ish cu ft freezer, a very large collar would be necessary. The nice thing about this freezer compared to it's 5 cu ft sibling is that it's only $20 more and the basket is great for storing hops and there's still plenty of room between the hump and bottom of the basket to store 18 bottles (or 36 cans) of beer! The rest of my response is below.

shigadeyo said:
I have two 6.5 gallon "Ale Pale" buckets that are the taller ones with dimensions of approximately 12" on top and 18.25" tall when the lid is on. The bottom is a bit smaller at around 10.5". Was able to fit both buckets into the freezer next to the hump, but it's a tight fit due to the larger space required by the lids. The buckets would fit much better if one bucket was elevated on cut 2x4 or 4x4 blocks so that the lid and larger part at the top of the bucket is staggered from the other bucket. Does that make sense? There is enough depth for the airlocks without a collar on the freezer as well. Hope this helps!

20150603_074202.jpg

I was asked if the Igloo FRF710 7.1 cu ft Chest Freezer would fit two 6.5 gallon bucket fermenters and the answer is YES. Given that they barely fit in this freezer off the hump and without a collar, my guess is that in order to fit into a 5ish cu ft freezer, a very large collar would be necessary. The nice thing about this freezer compared to it's 5 cu ft sibling is that it's only $20 more and the basket is great for storing hops and there's still plenty of room between the hump and bottom of the basket to store 18 bottles of beer! The rest of my response is below.

Yea thanks again for the information in PM! Looks like I'm going for the FRF710. Pissed that I missed the sale at $160 but $180 isn't terrible.

This post is absolutely incredible. Since all of the recommended freezers from the OP are decommissioned at this point, what are people using these days? I'd like to get 6-8 kegs on the floor and then use the compressor hump for two 5 lb CO2 tanks. Seems like a fairly common setup, but I am looking for real world suggestions.

my new Sears/Kenmore 9cu ft freezer + collar fits 6 pin locks just barely (1.5 on the hump), would fit 6 ball locks easily. Maybe CO2, not sure. My CO2 is outside with two gas hoses fit through the collar for two different pressures from two manifolds.

Going with the next size up should make it easy to fit your stated requirements.

hello all, I am wanting to pick up a freezer, to build my first keezer...

I've found this one:
Whirlpool 10 CF
Model: EH100FXGW05
Serial #: EWJ1980474
Date: 199905

I can't find anything on it online, and the seller measured the interior for me and he says it measures like this:
37" wide x 16 1/2". Depth is 28 1/2 "

any ideas how many cornies it would fit inside?

thanks,
Scott

Back