DC Area Group Buy #14

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so has anyone used the Avangard pils yet? how does it compare to, say, Weyermann or Chateau?

we ordered 8 bags in buy #13... somebody must have used some by now :D

so has anyone used the Avangard pils yet? how does it compare to, say, Weyermann or Chateau?

we ordered 8 bags in buy #13... somebody must have used some by now :D

The google search on it that i did before posting the order; most people preferred it over weyerman

The google search on it that i did before posting the order; most people preferred it over weyerman

Someone at the last buy told me he had used Avangard a lot and really liked it. If you think about it, malt is malt (given that it is the same plant species). At that price, I wouldn't bat an eye at trying it. :mug:

I'm pretty sure that Avanguard is the type of Pilsner malt that Maryland Homebrew stocks in their bulk grains area.

How much Munich you talkin? Ide be willing to take a few #s off your hands.

I have about 12# left. I'll go through it eventually. Unless you're short for a brew, I can help you with a few pounds. I live in DC. I got 25# back when we used to pick up grain at Tony's. Back then splits were more like 2-3 splits per bag. Considering the price that we get it, I didn't wanna pay for "specialty grains" when I need it. I use it as an adjunct for a lot of beers but in small amount.

Chet, we have a winner...tell him what he's won!

....a new car!

dvcxb.gif

Is this buy still open? Approximately when will it close?
yes, still open; and heavens only knows when it'll close. the official answer is when we get at least 42 bags. currently we're at 1, so.... yeah :drunk:

it could go pretty fast if people put in enough orders at the same time. typically when we get close to the required minimum we throw out a target date and that gets orders flying in. at this point i'd say we're looking at least at december, if not the new year.

might be good to get an order in before the xmas holidays, so folks can brew over the break (and avoid the visiting relatives) - thoughts?

If you think about it, malt is malt (given that it is the same plant species).
sure, same species but different strains. all ale yeast is the same species, but we don't say "yeast is yeast" when comparing cal ale, hefe, trappist, kolsch, british, etc. then there is process that brings further differentiation. pilsner is a process (or set of specifications), several strains of barley are used to make it. so i hesitate to say malt is malt...

folks in this thread seem pretty damn happy with it: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=449690. looks like 2 years ago the Avangard pils has higher yield/extract. looks like it now back in line with other pils.

At that price, I wouldn't bat an eye at trying it. :mug:

indeed - please put me down for:
1x 1850C AVANGARD MALZ PREMIUM PILSEN

now we're up to two whole bags!!!

might be good to get an order in before the xmas holidays, so folks can brew over the break (and avoid the visiting relative) - thoughts?

Agreed! I hope to get 3-4 brew days in before the end of the year, mainly during the two holiday breaks. Got a lot of empty kegs that need to be filled!

I have about 12# left. I'll go through it eventually. Unless you're short for a brew, I can help you with a few pounds. I live in DC. I got 25# back when we used to pick up grain at Tony's. Back then splits were more like 2-3 splits per bag. Considering the price that we get it, I didn't wanna pay for "specialty grains" when I need it. I use it as an adjunct for a lot of beers but in small amount.

Thanks for the response. I thought you had a lot more than that to spare. No worries. Happy brewing.

It's brewing season again, so...

1 x RAH1004 Rahr Pale Ale 50 lb

20# WEY1017 Weyermann Munich Type 1 (6L)
20# WEY1018 Weyermann Munich Type 2 (9L)

Let's fill this up so we can go hang out in the Urban Farmhouse at 3 Stars

Last edited:
Off topic - anyone interested in two ball lock kegs? I'll sell them for $110. The come with universal poppet and new o-rings installed. I also have a pin lock for $40.

I'd like to start a split, please:

15# of CRI1034 Crisp Crystal Dark 77L

and from robfar's open split:

15# of the WEY1018 Weyermann Munich Type 2

Thanks

Also I have 6 Belgian bottles, that kind that require the wire cage and cork, that can easily be had for a bottle of home brew.

What the hell, I'll close it out:

20# WEY1018 Weyermann Munich Type 2

By the way, I love the random 5# of crisp brown that I got in the last group buy. I made a London Style porter recently with some of it and I think it will be awesome. I wouldn't have done this without this group. Thanks!

to clarrify this.... someone pick me a cheap type of pils :D
Rahr is on the list, but Avanguard is a couple of bucks cheaper.

so if you insist on north american pils, stick with rahr. if you want cheapest, and/or are ready to man up to continental pils, avangard would be your ticket :D

whaddaya want, big boy?

Hellooooo!,

This is just what I needed. I'm in for at least a one 50 lb sack of Munich, Probably Weyermanns I as that is the only Munich malt I've ever used, but I'll wait for the list to nail it down.

PM on the way.

Wayne in Alexandria

Also, anybody in the area have a used freezer? I have one but I need another for lagers.

Off topic - anyone interested in two ball lock kegs? I'll sell them for $110. The come with universal poppet and new o-rings installed. I also have a pin lock for $40.

I'd take the pin lock keg if still available. Pick it up at the group buy?

Rahr is on the list, but Avanguard is a couple of bucks cheaper.

so if you insist on north american pils, stick with rahr. if you want cheapest, and/or are ready to man up to continental pils, avangard would be your ticket :D

whaddaya want, big boy?

i fear change so ill stick with rahr. (although I liked the old german one best malz from back in the day)

I just brewed a Robust Porter using mostly Avangard Vienna from buy #13. Efficiency definitely improved over what I was getting with Breiss 2-row but I won't be able to comment otherwise as this is my first non-IPA/non-sour that I have brewed. (was supposed to get 1.070, expected 1.065 from prior experience, got 1.076)

Into some splits while the getting is good:

20# WEY1017 Weyermann Munich Type 1 (6L)
10# CRI1034 Crisp Crystal Dark 77L
10# 1959C Dingemans Aromatic Kiln 50 Lb

Clap, go with the avangard...don't be a wuss! Does anyone else's work just totally blow these days? I have 60 hours in and it is freaking THUR for goodness sake! Argh!

Apologies to any of the new people who have been waiting patiently for a price list. Think I am caught up...

Who is loving the fact that we now get Deschutes and Alpine in this area besides me?

Clap, go with the avangard...don't be a wuss! Does anyone else's work just totally blow these days? I have 60 hours in and it is freaking THUR for goodness sake! Argh!

Apologies to any of the new people who have been waiting patiently for a price list. Think I am caught up...

Who is loving the fact that we now get Deschutes and Alpine in this area besides me?

if you say so! make it so

Has the Group Buy #14 list been started on Google Drive yet? I was looking at the folder and only see the #13 up there. I would love to see where we are at on splits.

Also, please put me down for a bag of Marris Otter. I'm almost out.
1 bag - MUN1001 - Muntons Marris Otter 25 kg/55 lb

Thanks!

Has the Group Buy #14 list been started on Google Drive yet? I was looking at the folder and only see the #13 up there. I would love to see where we are at on splits.

If I could be added as well, that would be great. I'm full of base malt right now, but I'd like to see the splits. I'm very low on wheat.

Back