First Big Brew Day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyp063

Reaction score
Or "Now I'm making beer lke a grown-up, Mommy"

Like many here, I came to this magnficent hobby ^H obsession from a Mr. Beer on post Christmas sale. Roughly 2 years ago.

I was not enamoured with the first batch even though I followed the directions. But a funny thing happened. About 6-8 months after that first tasting, SWMBO discoverd a bottle hiding *way* in the back of the fridge. I didn't think it would even be worth drinking, but we popped it open & low & behold! Not half bad.
A major step over MBC, for sure, but not what I hoped a good brew could be.

But it gave me encouragement. So I went & searched & read & stuff.
"2-2-2" "Add DME" "Watch the temps" "Use real yeast" Read Palmer. Read Papzan, etc.

The last beer done in the LBK was their WCPA with the proper adjustments ( see comments above)
It's came out pretty damn good, if I do say so myself.

Fast forward to today, a good day to brew.

Did a 5 gal. extract Weizen that's in a 75 degree room right now,
Also did a steep & DME variation on
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f37/great-lakes-christmas-ale-348809/

Which will st at 63-65 & then condition until Christmas.

I'm friggin' doomed, aren't I ?

Doomed you are, sounds like my mr. beer story. What yeast are you using? That 75 degrees may be a tad high. The yeast will create heat during fermentation raising the temp and possibly causing off flavors. I'd personally put it some place cooler, maybe 68 if possible. You may be ok, just a suggestion. Wheat yeast tend to work hotter, but at 75 you may be at the upper limits. Enjoy that brew! Cheers

tonyp063 said:
Or "Now I'm making beer lke a grown-up, Mommy"

Like many here, I came to this magnficent hobby ^H obsession........

LMAO .... you were doomed when I read magnificent hobby followed by obsession.... Brew on!

What yeast are you using? That 75 degrees may be a tad high.

Wyeast 3638.

It may be a tad high, yes. But I've set up a swamp cooler on it & it should get down & hover around 68-70 with that. I may crack a window for a bit to adjust the room down.
It's in the mechanicals room in the basement which tends to run a tad warm due to the dehumidifier.

Back