Anyone make a good beer batter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan

Reaction score
I am having a real hankering for some fish and chips. Do any of you guys (and gals) have a good recipe you wouldn't mind sharing.

Also, what style should one use for a beer batter. I was thinking something malty, but I found a few recipes that used pale ales.

I actually found a recipe on the Sam Adams site that I tried and was very very good.

You just use equal parts flour and corn starch and a pinch of baking powder.

They recommended using Sam Adams lager or Sam Adams light to thicken. I used regular Sam Adams and it came out great.

I used some very fresh cod fillets and loved it. :rockin:

Guy Fieri on the food network has a beer batter that I have used that even SWMBO liked. He does the diners drive ins and dives show. What type of beer is up to you.

I mix beer with Kreuzes Pancake Mix and add some salt & pepper to it. Works like a champ every time.

One cup beer of prefered style,
One cup sifted cake flower
1 lg Egg
Salt and Pepper to taste

Mix till batter is consistent without dry lumps (no dough balls). Chill for at least 1 hour, covered. When ready to fry use ice bath to keep batter chilled.

Comes out similar to tempura with a beer taste.

Bisquick, salt, pepper, paprika, beer.

Easy.

Great for onion rings too.

do not use the yolk. it will become oily. BTW just made some fish and chips using alton browns recipe.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1bKvLrz_lI&feature=related]YouTube - Good Eats S2E9P1: Fry Hard[/ame]

though the batter is a little tasteless. I think i need to add some more cayanne and old bay. though it did turn out pretty good. just not as much taste as id hope.

the recipe is

For the fries:

* 1 gallon safflower oil
* 4 large Russet potatoes
* Kosher salt

For the batter:

* 2 cups flour
* 1 tablespoon baking powder
* 1 teaspoon kosher salt
* 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
* Dash Old Bay Seasoning
* 1 bottle brown beer, cold
* 1 1/2 pounds firm-fleshed whitefish (tilapia, pollock, cod), cut into 1-ounce strips
* Cornstarch, for dredging

Directions

Heat oven to 200 degrees F.

Heat the safflower oil in a 5-quart Dutch oven over high heat until it reaches 320 degrees.

Using a V-slicer with a wide blade, slice the potatoes with the skin on. Place in a large bowl with cold water.

In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, cayenne pepper, and Old Bay seasoning. Whisk in the beer until the batter is completely smooth and free of any lumps. Refrigerate for 15 minutes. Note: The batter can be made up to 1 hour ahead of time.

Drain potatoes thoroughly, removing any excess water. When oil reaches 320 degrees, submerge the potatoes in the oil. Working in small batches, fry for 2 to 3 minutes until they are pale and floppy. Remove from oil, drain, and cool to room temperature.

Increase the temperature of the oil to 375 degrees. Re-immerse fries and cook until crisp and golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove and drain on roasting rack. Season with kosher salt while hot and hold in the oven.

Allow oil to return to 350 degrees. Lightly dredge fish strips in cornstarch. Working in small batches, dip the fish into batter and immerse into hot oil. When the batter is set, turn the pieces of fish over and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Drain the fish on the roasting rack. Serve with malt vinegar.

Back