March Swap: CBBaron's brews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
slight perfumey/floral aroma 8/12

good clarity nice copper red color 3/3

very hoppy flavor same as the aroma. nice hop bite with crisp finish, lingering taste of flowers 15/20

overcarbed had to wait 5-10 min for the 2.5-3in head to fall some. thin in body even with the overcarb not much malt feel left 2/5

overall not a bad amarican ipa tastes like most of bellls beers with the flowery aroma. try a less attenuateing yeast to bring up the body or mash a little higher. 6/10

34/50 pts:ban:

aroma: slight roasted aroma's with a hint of currantlike fruits

appearance:dead black with a thin lacy head

flavor: roasted malt/ coffee with a prominent currant taste, mildly sweet

mouthfeel: nice and smooth feel. could use some more carbonation to get some creaminess

overall: nice stout but a little thin and undercarbed, may try raising the mash temp a bit stouts should be like drinking a snack something to chew on for a bit

eriktlupus said:
aroma: slight roasted aroma's with a hint of currantlike fruits

appearance:dead black with a thin lacy head

flavor: roasted malt/ coffee with a prominent currant taste, mildly sweet

mouthfeel: nice and smooth feel. could use some more carbonation to get some creaminess

overall: nice stout but a little thin and undercarbed, may try raising the mash temp a bit stouts should be like drinking a snack something to chew on for a bit
Thanks for the reviews.
A couple of comments on this beer. First this beer is what prompted my thread "Grainy astringent stout" so I am glad to see you are not seeing the problems I thought I was going to have with this beer.
Second, the FG was 1.022 which is above style (Export Stout). It seems that the mouthfeel is not necessarily related to FG.

As you may have noticed I am having a little problem with consistent carbonation. Several of my beers were under carbed including this stout. I think I over compensated in that IPA that tends to overflow the cup with foam:(. However I do have to say the head seems to stick around a long time :)

Thanks again for your great feedback. I will be opening up each of mine again in the near future to compare against what you are writing.

Craig
Craig

Moonless Night (Export Stout)

Nice super dark dark brown color, good creamy brown head, nice roasty aroma with light coffee notes.
The 1" head was all but gone at the half glass mark (with no lacing) but the flavor and carbonation was right on.
Great job!

Thanks for the reviews guys, but i want more. I sent out 15 different beers, 5 each to 3 different people and I've only gotten 3 reviews so far.
Get drinking people :tank:

OK, I guess I'm just anxious to hear what others think of my beers.

Craig

08-08-08 RIS

Nicely carbonated, real nice creamy head that lasted the whole beer, not that the whole beer lasted long.
Rich malty aroma and nice malty, fruity notes show up through the hops.
Great beer!

SuperiorBrew said:
08-08-08 RIS

Nicely carbonated, real nice creamy head that lasted the whole beer, not that the whole beer lasted long.
Rich malty aroma and nice malty, fruity notes show up through the hops.
Great beer!
Thanks for the compliments. This beer is my favorite of the brews I have done. Its supposed to be aged until 08/08/08 but its great already so it going to be hard to leave most of it until the day. :D

Thanks
Craig

Oatmeal Stout

Aroma: Nice roasty aromas with a slight hint of coffee.

Appearance: Dark dark brown in color. nice creamy brown head.

Flavor: Mildly roasty, slight coffee and maybe a touch of chocolate.

Mouthfeel: Much lighter body than I was expecting nice and smooth and perfectly carbonated.

Overall Impression: This has to be the most quaffable stout I have ever had. I could see sitting down to several of these. I will be adding this one to my to brew list :mug:

Rich,
Which beer was the last one you sampled? Its not listed in the message. I'm guessing its the oatmeal stout because I also find it to be a very easy drinking stout. I threw the recipe together quickly but it is one of my favorites and definitely the easiest drinking stouts I have made. My Brown Porter is similar and that beer was made on the fly. After I started the mash I realized I didn't have the correct yeast for a Scottish Ale, so I threw in some extra chocolate and used S-04 for an English style brown porter.
Craig

been sitting in the fridge since twas recieved

nice aroma slightly fruity and malty

lightly carbed no lacing(no head)

slightly alcoholic malty taste nice creaminess

decently carbed while drinking but again no head or lacing

nice beer baron:rockin:

been sitting in the fridge since twas recieved
nice aroma slightly fruity and malty
lightly carbed no lacing(no head)
slightly alcoholic malty taste nice creaminess
decently carbed while drinking but again no head or lacing

nice beer baron:rockin:

That my favorite beer so far and it is still supposed to age for 3 months. The hard part will be leaving it sit in the closet until the appointed time.
:D
Craig

Latest posts

Back