uh-oh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is a dubbel that has been fermenting for a couple weeks now, every time I have checked it the beer looks clear abs today

ForumRunner_20121126_121231.jpg

ForumRunner_20121126_121245.jpg

ForumRunner_20121126_121302.jpg

Accidentally sent it prematurely haha today When I looked, this is what I have! Surprise! It smells good still but looks gross. The white things look kind if like plumbers tape. I don't see anything hairy really, just a couple bubbles here and there. Should I be concerned? I haven't had a infection yet and don't want to ruin my streak!

When it comes time, I would sanitize ALL my equipment, and use some sanitized device to poke a "hole" in that mess and rack out from under it. I had something like this on a Moktoberfest that I made and I racked from under it. It turned out to be one of my best beers ever...

BUT, ANYTHING that touches this batch should be cleaned with oxyclean, sanitized with a 1:10 bleach/water sanitizer, rinsed VERY well, and then use some Starsan or whatever it is that is your sanitizer of choice. If possible, I would also replace any plastic tubing and any plastic that is cheap to replace.

It looks like plastic "flakes" from the bucket, or solidified fat. Strange. I'd say fish out a piece with a sanitized tool and check it out (taste it).

I had a brown ale turn out like this once. It was perfectly fine one day, and the next it looked like that. There were some white chunks, not quite as well defined as what yours looks like though. I hate scrapping any beer I have brewed, so I racked from under it, and left a good amount in the fermenter just to not take any of the nasties. It turned out to be a pretty decent beer. Had I not brewed the beer, I never would have known it was infected based on taste. I say taste it and carbonate it up if the sample tastes ok.

Latest posts

Back