4 Types of Trappist Ales

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justbrewit

Zythos Conisseur
Reaction score
ok, all this bitching that i've done about being in germany and wanting some micro brews, there is one good thing about being in germany that i do like. i just picked up 4 different trappist ales. 2 each from 2 different breweries. i got La Trappe Tripel which is 8%, La Trappe Quadrupel which is 10%, Westmalle Trappist dubbel which is 7% and Westmalle Trappist tripel which is 9.5%. i haven't tasted any of these yet but i will try and get to a couple of them this weekend. the 2 from La Trappe are in ceramic bottles 750 Ml each, the Quadrupel is in a black ceramic bottle and the Tripel is in a Cream or White colored bottle. the Westmalle was a gift set that came with a very nice glass goblet. most likely i'll try the gift set first and hit the 2 big bottles next weekend, i have a 4 day weekend so i'll have tons of time to try them. i'll post some tasting notes once i try each one. if any one has ever had any of these, let us know what you think. wish me luck!!!:drunk: :cross:

Ive had the Westmalle dubble, and i must say that it is a magnificent brew. I pick one up every now and then. I may be biased towards it since it was my first trappist, but either way i will continue to enjoy it for years to come

i just opened the Dubbel, i'm letting it warm up right now, i'll give some tasting notes in a few. i did notice that there is of course yeast in the bottom so i'm trying to make a starter with it, not that i'm brewing any time soon, i just want to see if it will grow. that way i know for when i start doing trappist ales.

justbrewit said:
i did notice that there is of course yeast in the bottom so i'm trying to make a starter with it, not that i'm brewing any time soon, i just want to see if it will grow.
This resource indicates that it's a difficult strain to culture, but it only costs a few cents and a little time to try. I recently failed trying to culture an Aventinus, but I'll try it again sometime.

http://www.nada.kth.se/~alun/Beer/Bottle-Yeasts/

tasting notes for the dubbel

slightly roasty, a little bit of malt flavor, not much bitterness. almost a slight sour taste to it. over all, pretty good! almost reminds me of what a brown ale tastes like but more concentrated. if that makes any sense

edit: also a slight alcohol taste, not every strong, but its there.

tasting notes on the Westmalle Trappist tripel:

nice clean flavor, malty, slightly fruity. i think i poured a little of the yeast in while decanting, slight off flavor and after taste. still a very pleasant beer, very refreshing. this one is 9.5% but you really can't taste the alcohol at all.

if i could afford it, i'd make this one a daily drinker

All four of those beers are terrific, and for the most part readily available in the USA when you return. I'm a HUGE fan of Westmalle, and would make both the tripel and dubble daily drinkers if my pocket and liver could afford it.

Back