I don't care if it's 9:42 am

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thejerk

Reaction score
Just finished on organic chemistry exam that bent me over and had its way with me. After days and days of nothing but work and study, I just popped one of my English Brown Porters and poured it into my brand new Duvel glass. Yay for breakfast beers. I'm gonna drink this and then start my physics homework, cause finals start on Monday...

Just finished on organic chemistry exam that bent me over and had its way with me. After days and days of nothing but work and study, I just popped one of my English Brown Porters and poured it into my brand new Duvel glass. Yay for breakfast beers. I'm gonna drink this and then start my physics homework, cause finals start on Monday...

That's a whole week away, I would drink that Porter then go to the bar till at least Wednesday. I miss college.

Hey, its like 5:48 in England, right? Porters are from England, therefore you're just doing the proper thing.

Sorry to hear about the Organic Chem exam. From what I know, it ruins everyone...

The way I found to study for Organic was to make up flash cards...and have an assistant go to the pub with you. Find a quiet place...order a pitcher of good beer...and have her ask you questions from the cards. Each one you get right...you get to take a swig of beer. This makes going over repetitive memory items much much more satisfying.

Thanks guys. I figured that if I posted about it on HBT, at least I'm not drinking aloneat 9:42 am. I just told my girlfriend and she just laughed at me, because she knows how hard I've been working. Breakfast Stout is coming up to temperature for when I'm done with this one...

Thanks guys. I figured that if I posted about it on HBT, at least I'm not drinking aloneat 9:42 am. I just told my girlfriend and she just laughed at me, because she knows how hard I've been working. Breakfast Stout is coming up to temperature for when I'm done with this one...

Sounds like it'll be more of a brunch stout by the time you get to it...:fro:

yeah, i was effectively "screened out" of pre-med by organic chemistry....whatever, who needs a life of helping others, prestige, money, and job security???

The way I found to study for Organic was to make up flash cards...and have an assistant go to the pub with you. Find a quiet place...order a pitcher of good beer...and have her ask you questions from the cards. Each one you get right...you get to take a swig of beer. This makes going over repetitive memory items much much more satisfying.

You just have to take the exam drunk. If you learn drunk you remember that information better while intoxicated-or at least thats what they told me in psychology class. Haven't tested this, but the problem is that its really hard to learn while drunk....oh well, you probably won't care any way, I know I don't. Have another!

Congrats on being dong with organic! I still have all my tests to go.

Holy **** I brewed one delicious breakfast stout. There's not a beer in the world I'd rather have on this snow-covered December morning. Perfect earthy notes of Indonesian chocolate and coffee. I am not yet done with Organic...just had my last mid-semester exam this morning. Finals next week still.
And I am a Ute. Although, I do have a degree from BYU...
What? A home-brewin' BYU grad??

All in all, beer for breakfast is a good idea. But DO NOT pregame for class and then take one in a to-go cup. Seriously, when you run out, a droning Ochem professor and the post-beer sleepieness is too much to bear. Not sayin'... just sayin'.

I think my worst term was when I ended up with all four finals on the first day of finals week. I was too gorked out to drink.

I'm taking Ochem II next semester, not especially looking forward to it, but I like the emphasis on theory and lack of straight calculations. At least you know why its called ethanol now. . .

Woot. Okay everybody. Drinking a doppelsticke now. Just in case anybody out there is nostalgic for college and smarter than me, I've got a story problem for you. It's been fighting me and my homebrew buzz for a while now this morning.
A steel rod (rho= 7860 kg/m3) has a length of 1.56 m. It is bolted at both ends between immobile supports. Initially there is no tension in the rod, because the rod just fits between the supports. Find the tension that develops when the rod loses 5.00e+03 J of heat.
What a pain in the ass. The following I know:
F=Y(dL/L0)A
dL=(alpha)L0dt
Q=mcdt
m=(rho)hA

L0=1.56 m
Q=5000 J
alpha=12E-6
Y=2E11
c=452

Ready, set, go! Because, I mean, really, if you can't come to HBT to find bored physics geeks to help you with your homework, where can you go?

Those were the days... we were nerds with alcohol - amazing the jokes we came up with. A bottle and book - dangerous combination.

Woot. Okay everybody. Drinking a doppelsticke now. Just in case anybody out there is nostalgic for college and smarter than me, I've got a story problem for you. It's been fighting me and my homebrew buzz for a while now this morning.
A steel rod (rho= 7860 kg/m3) has a length of 1.56 m. It is bolted at both ends between immobile supports. Initially there is no tension in the rod, because the rod just fits between the supports. Find the tension that develops when the rod loses 5.00e+03 J of heat.
F=Y(dL/L0)A
dL=(alpha)L0dt
Q=mcdt
m=(rho)hA

L0=1.56 m
Q=5000 J
alpha=12E-6
Y=2E11
c=452

Ready, set, go! Because, I mean, really, if you can't come to HBT to find bored physics geeks to help you with your homework, where can you go?

Consider it this way - a fixed bar is being pulled from one side (pick a wall and consider that one what is 'pulling') with the force that you have laid out with your known equations (you provided enough info to solve for it when you typed it out - plug and play, my friend).

I miss statics.

F=Y(dL/L0)A
dL=(alpha)L0dt
Q=mcdt
m=(rho)hA

L0=1.56 m
Q=5000 J
alpha=12E-6
Y=2E11
c=452

seems easy enough, couldn't you just use its spec heat, find dT and and then use its coefficient of thermal expansion assuming its uniform etc and then its sprink constant assuming linear elastic...?

although, do you have a mass or area listed anywhere?

but then again, assuming that its linear elastic and the length varies linearly with temp, they should be able to cancel out and the Area wouldnt matter as long as its uniform...

don't need it - area drops out and mass can be solved for using the original length, density and the area (why it drops out when yo solve for the force). F=YalphaQc/rhoL0

Granted - I am out of engineering for the past 3yrs and in the middle of a nephrotic syndrome lecture while I am running these numbers (there may be errors, but hey - this gave me something to do, so I owe you one!), so take it with a grain of salt... or a beer.

Those were the days... we were nerds with alcohol - amazing the jokes we came up with. A bottle and book - dangerous combination.

Its still dangerous for me. When we genetics kids go out, its all science jokes-mostly yeast jokes too. We must get more annoying the more we drink to whomever brought their non-scientist friend. Last time we had a debate over how many beers we needed to have in order to find a mutant yeastie based on standard mutation rate. It was never solved-too much beer in the end for any of us to how a complete thought.

don't need it - area drops out and mass can be solved for using the original length, density and the area (why it drops out when yo solve for the force). F=YalphaQc/rhoL0

yeah, I noticed it when I looked at what was given more closely, seems like a fun problem to me :) I was kind of in a hurry to get to my mechanics of materials class...

yeah, I noticed it when I looked at what was given more closely, seems like a fun problem to me :) I was kind of in a hurry to get to my mechanics of materials class...

Man, materials was fun. Also the source of one of the greatest epipharies - based on crystal structure, the best packing method to maximize the number of beers you can fit into a cooler is with Hexagonal Close Packed.

Man, materials was fun. Also the source of one of the greatest epipharies - based on crystal structure, the best packing method to maximize the number of beers you can fit into a cooler is with Hexagonal Close Packed.

haha, yeah if its big enough...but then again you beers arent spheres so you sont get that middle layer

hehe, this makes me think of this... sorry to get too far off topic

nerd_sniping.png

10, the answer is 10... 10 beers that is before you figure out the answer and then it will be wrong... hated o-chem man... glad to hear you're through. i've only got one final to wade through, shouldn't be too bad...

I actually found O chem to be a "fun" class mainly because I had good professors. It was me and calculus that did not get along. I felt like such a dumb a$$ in those classes. Drink up and have fun, college goes quick and ends abruptly.

haha, yeah if its big enough...but then again you beers arent spheres so you sont get that middle layer

hehe, this makes me think of this... sorry to get too far off topic

nerd_sniping.png

Pretty sure that cartoon works - how much is an engineer worth? Hope the drinking and problems solving went well. And only now did I just wonder why a statics (or technically solids) problem is involved in organic chemistry....

coalcracker...don't worry, OP here, and this thread also makes my brain feel inferior, even though I've been at the top of all of my physics, biology, chemistry, and organic classes. There's some smart cookies out there brewing beer. Thanks for the help, y'all. brownmt...you almost had it, but the specific heat value needed to be in the denominator of the expression you wrote.

Back