No action.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rattletrap

Reaction score
I put a batch of robust porter in the fermentor on Monday. It was a brewers best kit. Everything went smooth and had no issues. It's almost 48 hrs later and still not seeing any action in the airlock. Am I being impatient or is there something I should do or be doing?

It's probably fine. Wait another 24 hours till you worry.

Until then, what temp did you pitch at? And what temp is it fermenting at? Have you taken a gravity reading?

TheMan said:

Until then, what temp did you pitch at? And what temp is it fermenting at? Have you taken a gravity reading?

Pitched at 75. Fermenting at about 70 in basement. OG was right at minimum but still in range.

TheMan said:

Pitched at 75.Basement is about 70 degrees right now. OG was right at minimum but within range

Bubbles mean nothing. Lack of bubbles means even less.
Wait another 24. If you don't see any action, crack the lid of the fermentor (gently) and look inside. Are there bubbles on the surface? Is there krusen, or a ring where the krusen was? Do you smell beer (it's a different smell than wort)? If the answer is yes, then chances are your fermentor wasn't completely sealed and the CO2 came out some other way. If no, you can try and take a gravity reading to see if it has gone down. Or not bother and just pitch more yeast, your choice.

This is my second batch and it got a lot easier. The fist batch started less than 24 hrs so I thought there might be something wrong. I appreciate the advice and I'm sure I'll be back for more info. Thanks.

Just because the airlock isn't bubbling, doesn't mean that the wort isn't fermenting. The same thing happened to me with 2 batches this past weekend, and even though the airlocks weren't bubbling, I saw the temperature slowly rising above ambient, and when I touched the lids, the airlocks went nuts, indicating something was happening inside. Eventually, the airlocks kicked in and are still going strong. One of the down sides to plastic buckets is that you can't see the activity inside. I'm tempted to switch to plastic carboys for that reason. Also, buckets tend to leak around the lids, and even around the airlock grommet, and this will delay airlock activity until the fermentation is vigorous. Don't worry.:mug:

Pitched at 75. Fermenting at about 70 in basement. OG was right at minimum but still in range.

I asked the temp questions to make sure you didn't kill the yeast while pitching too hot. You are fine there. So yes, stick with the original advice and wait another 24 hours.

Also, by gravity reading I meant right now lol...not OG reading. You can have fermentations that show zero signs of fermenting. I've had some that I never even saw a krausen, but a gravity reading told me it was fermenting.

In any case, after 72 hours, then you should look into taking some sort of action.

Back