Recomendations in Salt Lake City

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Germey

Reaction score
I am going to be in SLC next week and am looking for good beer and good food. I wish I could make it out to Wasatch, but I will be in training from 9-5 and don't think it will be wise for me and the co-worker to brave the mountain rd after hitting the pints. If that drive is a cake walk, let me know.
Let me know your favorites.
Thanks,

That drive is a Cake walk...but we'll have a few storms coming in next week. When will you be coming in?

Red Rock Brewing Co won Large Brewpub and Large Brewpub Brewer at the GABF last year, along with numerous other medals. Definitely worth checking out.

Squatters has also won a bunch in previous years.

Depending on when you guys are coming in I'd be happy to meet you for a half-count full-flavor UT brew.

Cheers.

mrkristofo said:
That drive is a Cake walk...but we'll have a few storms coming in next week. When will you be coming in?

Red Rock Brewing Co won Large Brewpub and Large Brewpub Brewer at the GABF last year, along with numerous other medals. Definitely worth checking out.

Squatters has also won a bunch in previous years.

Depending on when you guys are coming in I'd be happy to meet you for a half-count full-flavor UT brew.

Cheers.

Red Rock and Squatters are definitely on the list.
I'll be coming in late Monday night, and it looks like our training gets out at 4 or 5 every afternoon on Tues, Wed, and Thurs.
Friday, we'll be heading straight for the airport.
What's a "half-count full-flavor UT brew"?
Also, what's the deal with the "Private clubs"? Is that so they can serve liquor like a regular bar?
If we set up a homebrewer get-together, I'll bring a couple of bottles.

I have an exam Wed, and class that goes until 930 Wed PM so tues/wed are out. Thursday is good to go though. I'd be happy to share some HB with ya though on Thursday. My Lupomania is tasting fine, but I'm running kind of low on other stuff (counter to what my sig would lead you to believe). If you're interested in heading up to Wasatch, we could do it Thursday. A buddy of mine from the LHBS just got on as Asst Brewer there. Not sure if he'll be working that late, but I could check.

Half-count means the 3.2% w/w that UT brewers must adhere to. Despite this fact, I still find most UT brewed beers to be fantastic, thus full-flavor.

"Private clubs" is a fancy way of saying "full bar." They all charge a "Membership fee" which is a fancy way of saying "cover" at $8-$13.

mrkristofo said:
Half-count means the 3.2% w/w that UT brewers must adhere to. Despite this fact, I still find most UT brewed beers to be fantastic, thus full-flavor.

"Private clubs" is a fancy way of saying "full bar." They all charge a "Membership fee" which is a fancy way of saying "cover" at $8-$13.

God I love Utah for it's quirkiness, but boy am I glad I don't live there. I was wondering why so many of the SLC brewpubs seem to specialize in "European Lagers".

mrkristofo said:
I have an exam Wed, and class that goes until 930 Wed PM so tues/wed are out. Thursday is good to go though. I'd be happy to share some HB with ya though on Thursday. My Lupomania is tasting fine, but I'm running kind of low on other stuff (counter to what my sig would lead you to believe). If you're interested in heading up to Wasatch, we could do it Thursday. A buddy of mine from the LHBS just got on as Asst Brewer there. Not sure if he'll be working that late, but I could check.

Ah yes, exams. So much I miss about school, yet don't. Obviously, do what you need to for school and don't pay a second thought to bowing out last minute. I'll PM my contact info. I'll bring a bottle of my Lord Nelson DRIPA and some German Chocolate Stout (aka cursed black beer with German Hops, a completely unintended experiment that came out very nice) I can also bring some mead if you are a fan.
Is there any weirdness I should be aware of bringing bottles of HB in my suitcase? Utah weirdness that is, I am familiar with the TSA's brand of stupid rules.:D

Germey said:
God I love Utah for it's quirkiness, but boy am I glad I don't live there. I was wondering why so many of the SLC brewpubs seem to specialize in "European Lagers".

Ah yes, exams. So much I miss about school, yet don't. Obviously, do what you need to for school and don't pay a second thought to bowing out last minute. I'll PM my contact info. I'll bring a bottle of my Lord Nelson DRIPA and some German Chocolate Stout (aka cursed black beer with German Hops, a completely unintended experiment that came out very nice) I can also bring some mead if you are a fan.
Is there any weirdness I should be aware of bringing bottles of HB in my suitcase? Utah weirdness that is, I am familiar with the TSA's brand of stupid rules.:D

Never had a problem bringing wine and beer back from ID. Packed it up tight in the middle of my check-in luggage.

I have some Lupomania here for you for sure, and probably some others. Mead sounds great...I'd love to try some if you have a decent example. The Pyment I've tried from the wine store in Boise was awful. I can't imagines vikings used that foul of an example to fuel their conquests and pillaging.

Back