Why a higher temp to (batch) sparge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two totally separate things.

You want to be at about 168° to "rinse" the sugars from the grains. That is ideal. Obviously this means you have to heat your sparge water close to 190° for it to equal out to near 170 in the MLT.

Don't go any hotter than 170 though--can release harsh tannins from the husks.

I know it's basically a non-issue with batch sparging (since you're heating to a boil so soon after sparging), but don't the higher temps also act as a mash out, i.e. the enzymes get denatured and stop converting?

hotter water will raise your extraction %. However it is possible to sparge with cold water also. You wont extract any undesirables.....but your efficiency will suffer.

you want to ride that line between rinsing the fermentables out, and starting to rinse undesirables out of the grains. you need to adjust your pH so that you can raise your sparge water by a few more degrees and still extract only the good stuff.

Personally I try to stay right at 170 and not go any higher. If I sparge at 166-168...well thats fine also. Not going to be the end of the world. I rarely try and go over 170 though. That bit more of extraction isnt worth the risk of pulling tannins and other nasties out of the grains

Back