Time: still continues to amaze me

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snipper_cr

Reaction score
I made a post about this earlier but it happened again and I am amazed by it.

Back in March I brewed an ESB and messed up the carbonation. Basically the bottles got less than half the priming sugar they needed. After 3 weeks conditioning, the beer was flatter than a pancake but taste wise what I was hoping for.

Fast forward a month. I forgot about the beer as I was super busy with school stuff. Finally got sometime, popped one open... and I got a small amount of head at the top and taste improved a little bit. Seemed more... blended. Nice! I was so impressed that I posted about it.

Well now fast forward another month. I pop another open... and this time get a nice 1-2 inch head off it, with a mouth feel that blew me away! The flavors blended together like a good stew (although the hops taste disappeared a bit)!

I originally put this beer under the "No other beer around? OKAY, FINE... I'll drink one of these." Now its "Is it 5 O'clock? I want me a home brew!"

I guess this does turn into a question. With very low priming sugar, after a month it was still low carbonation but two months had perfect carbonation. If I had used the correct amount of carbonation so that after a few weeks from bottling, I would have the correct carbonation, what would happen after a few months? Bottle Bombs?

Happy friday all!
edited for engrish... was so excited to post this!

Any change in temp ?

It really is amazing what time does to the profile ...sometimes, I might say "This just can't get any better"..and it DOES!

I still have a few of my first AG brew left over. Of course, I couldn't wait to try it, so I had one after about a week. I was awful. My notes actually said, "This is the worst beer I've ever had." I figured I should give it the standard 3 weeks to bottle condition. It was really, really terrible after 3 weeks. I continued to drink one of these when my pipeline would get low every once in a while. They were still terrible.

I tried one a couple of days ago, which works out to roughly 4 months in the bottle. To my surprise, it wasn't half bad. Time is on our side.

Back