Stainless to Brass fittings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinarphan

Reaction score
I've recently converted a Stainless Keg to a Keggle. I had a stainless nipple welded in for the ball valve and want to install a stainless washer hose for a filter inside the boil area.

Can I use a brass coupler to join the 2 components?

I hear not to use different metals together but don't know if that is just for cutting or if it applies to my situation.

thanks

I work in industrial supply, so I may be able to help. You could mix brass and stainless, and it would work for a while, but it would eventually leak. A stainless coupler vs. a brass coupler isn't very much difference in price, so I would just go with keeping all the metals similar.

Thanks AK

I might order the coupler from you if you can get it. I'll also need the barbed piece to join the coupler and the hose.

So it will be alright to use what I have in the mean time I suppose? Actually, I'm wondering if a leak would be a problem, they will be internal to the brew kettle...

If I were to use a stainless ball valve for the outside of the kettle, I'd be looking at an extra $40 or more right?

Using what you have will be fine. Just make sure you clean the brass, as it has residual surface lead on it. It is a very small amount, but cleaning it off would be best. Maybe I should have elaborated on "eventually." By eventually, I mean in a few months to a year. When you couple stainless and brass together, oxidation of the brass takes place at a higher rate. If you do use the brass, you need to make sure that it is not turning green before each use. If it is, the copper is dissolving, exposing more lead to the surface.

Back