Coopers Pilsner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bragwr

Reaction score
Hello there,

A question about a Coopers Pilsner fermentation.

My Pilsner has been fermenting for 21 days so far. The temperature has been a constant 12 to 14 degrees C. The airlock was bubbling at strongly 1x per 15 seconds initially and is now giving off a weak bubble burst every ~5 minutes.

How long should I leave it in there for? Is it ok on the turb?

Should I move it to a warner place for a couple of days to get the remaining fermentation done?

How long should a Pilsner take to ferment at 12 - 14 degrees C?

Thanks

How long should I leave it in there for? Is it ok on the turb?
Up to you.. but the longer it sits around the more risk of infection and oxidation there is, so a week or 2 after fermentation is complete is the common max.
Trub is fine for a short term.

Should I move it to a warner place for a couple of days to get the remaining fermentation done?
If you want. Not necessary if fermentation is complete, but some do this to clean up off flavours or insurance that it's all done. Personal preferences...
How long should a Pilsner take to ferment at 12 - 14 degrees C?
All depends on OG, temp, yeast breed, viability, vessel size etc.... In your case I would guess 3 weeks, tops.
NO PROBLEM :fro:

Get a hydrometer. It will tell if your fermentation is done, bubbles aren't reliable.

Thanks clone63,

This is my first brew using a lager yeast so this is a totally new thing for me. The lower temperatures involved have made me quite nervous!

I decided to take a sample today. SG1010. As low as any Coopers kit I have done so far, so I think it is just about done. I can't see it getting any lower really. It's pretty clear and tastes nice so if it carbs up ok it should be a good brew.

Cheers

Back