Looking for a chocolate stout suggestion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtyPolock

Reaction score
So the next beer that I feel like brewing is a chocolate stout. I am trying to pick out a recipe to make and have come down with three options. I am hoping for a few suggestions on the recipes that I want to make.

1) Austin Homebrew's Double Chocolate Stour

2) Dark Chocolate Stout by BarleyWater found in the recipe database here

3) Double Chocolate Oatmeal Snout by Chshre Cat found in the recipe database here...I will try to convert it to an all-grain version.

In lookng at all the reviews I don't think that I will make a wrong decision, but I am just hoping for a few quick recommendations.

Thanks!

I've done the AHS double chocolate stout. It's a good beer, but if you want a real chocolate backbone you are going to have to add a lot more chocolate than they give you.

You only get 1oz of chocolate with the AHS recipe (unless they changed it) and the bitterness of the grains will take over that very quickly. I added 4oz of cocoa nibs thinking that it would boost the chocolate flavor (after reading the reviews) and it still wasn't as strong as I'd hoped. After reading the recipe from Chshre, he recommends 9oz which seems to me like it's more in the ballpark of a real double chocolate stout.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trashing the AHS recipe at all. It's very good for a stout, I just think it's weak on the chocolate side. You can always add more chocolate to that recipe. I will likely be brewing it again, with even more chocolate.

I can't speak for any of the recipes listed, but the Founder's Breakfast Stout recipe is awesome. Just go easy on the coffee additions if you want more chocolate to come through. There's a thread on it on here somewhere.

about a week away from bottling a CHocolate Mint Stout that I got the recipe from Randy Mosher's RADICAL BREWING...tasted it after racking it and I think it is going to be awesome

Back