oak cubes in saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slim chillingsworth

Reaction score
I have 5 gallons of a saison that is still conditioning, and I would like to add some oak character. I picked up 2.5 oz of "House Toast" American oak cubes, but after semi-extensive research I can't find any good information on using them in anything other than porters, stouts, and ipas. Other than the obvious advice of just tasting it as it goes, does anyone have anything to say about how much and how long?

I'd start with .5-1 ouces for five gallons and go from there, leaving the cubes in for a long time(couple months at least). The oak character and complexity is better I think, there's a reason wines and beers are aged on oak for a while and not just always dumped into 100% new oak for a couple weeks and removed. Also, you don't want the oak overpowering the saison complexity/character, so I'd go easy.

I'd start with .5-1 ouces for five gallons and go from there, leaving the cubes in for a long time(couple months at least). The oak character and complexity is better I think, there's a reason wines and beers are aged on oak for a while and not just always dumped into 100% new oak for a couple weeks and removed. Also, you don't want the oak overpowering the saison complexity/character, so I'd go easy.

i'm might as well just start private messaging you. i think this is like the third or fourth question in a row that you've had the first response. thanks for the input.

i just toasted half of a 2.5 oz package and put them in with some cheap bordeax to soak. i'm hoping this will mimic more of a wine-barrel aging. i'll see what that's smelling like in a couple of days/weeks and decide if it'll work with the saison.

Latest posts

Back