Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My uncle a recovered alcoholic or as i like to call him a discovered POS..said that "no one actually likes the taste of beer they only drink it to get drunk" his face is now my urinal

overheard in my head at brew club meeting last night when this kid who works at a local brewery started talking about the chocolate, peanut butter & banana beer they brewed the other day

"like if Elvis was in one of those old Reese's commercials, eating one of his favorite sammiches and he collides with somebody eating chocolate."

I've always wondered about a chocolate peanut butter beer and try to get the banana from the yeast.

Personally I've never understood the appeal of beers like that. Sweet Baby Jesus is disgusting to me. I've had multiple people find out I make beer, then ask if I've ever had the Southern Tier Creme Brulé. Barf! I don't even think they put yeast in that! I think what people after that really want is ice cream, so just have ice cream then! Although I don't have a sweet tooth in the slightest, so I really can't relate. To each his own I suppose.

Personally I've never understood the appeal of beers like that. Sweet Baby Jesus is disgusting to me. I've had multiple people find out I make beer, then ask if I've ever had the Southern Tier Creme Brulé. Barf! I don't even think they put yeast in that! I think what people after that really want is ice cream, so just have ice cream then! Although I don't have a sweet tooth in the slightest, so I really can't relate. To each his own I suppose.

+1 on the Creme Brulé stout! I had a sample of that once and I couldn't even finish the sample; over ice cream was the first thing I thought of too!

But the SBJ isn't nearly as bad...it's at least drinkable (although I wouldn't want more than one...)

Same here - Creme Brulee stout is awful on its own. First time I had a sample, I could smell it before the bartender even brought the glass near.

Having said that, though, I did have it paired with a sweet dessert at a beer dinner. When it's paired like that, it's pretty darn good.

I think what people after that really want is ice cream, so just have ice cream then!

Reminds me of self-described "coffee fanatics" that go to Starbucks for the "great coffee", and order a "triple-grande-frozen-hazelnut-mocha-latte-truffle-blast-with-extra-cream-and-sugar-topped-with-whipped-cream-and-cinnamon-and-nutmeg-and-caramel-syrup-and-a-cherry-on-top, decaf please".

No, you don't like coffee, you like milkshakes.

Word man. I liked Caribou coffee for the strong but flavorful coffee they brewed with half-n-half & a touch of sugar. Nothing else!

Reminds me of self-described "coffee fanatics" that go to Starbucks for the "great coffee", and order a "triple-grande-frozen-hazelnut-mocha-latte-truffle-blast-with-extra-cream-and-sugar-topped-with-whipped-cream-and-cinnamon-and-nutmeg-and-caramel-syrup-and-a-cherry-on-top, decaf please".

That's the only way I can drink their coffee, and I really like coffee. I think Starbucks just burns their beans in a pan before they grind them. No roasting.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I think Starbucks just burns their beans in a pan before they grind them. No roasting.

I'm with you on that one. I love black coffee and I cannot drink Starbucks. I think they burn the beans so that when you add that quart of steamed heavy cream, you still get a little 'coffee' flavor. I get their whole beans from the grocery store, and it doesn't have that over roasted flavor

A few years ago I was at a fire camp just outside of San Bernadino. Starbucks set up a tent with their coffee makers and a never ending supply of coffee. In the morning hours I would get a large mugs of camp coffee, food service contractor kept fresh coffee going 24 hours, and top it off with some Starbucks. Straight Starbucks was just to strong for me.

Darn nice of Starbucks to do that.

Friend of mine likes to talk about how he does all this yard work and then grabs himself a "brew"
Problem is he drinks Amstel Light.
He also mostly drinks it because that is what his wife drinks.
Now I have no issue if you like what you like, but he refers to my beer as swill.

I drink Ipa's (saranac, Lake PLacid, Harpoon, Dogfish) I even like Sam Adams IPA, (only Sam I like)
And yes I have been known to drink some Genny Creame Ale!!!!!

so it is all good,

but it peaves me when people who drink watered down swill just dont get what beer is truely capable of!

I'm with you on that one. I love black coffee and I cannot drink Starbucks. I think they burn the beans so that when you add that quart of steamed heavy cream, you still get a little 'coffee' flavor. I get their whole beans from the grocery store, and it doesn't have that over roasted flavor

The beans may very well be burned. I roast my own coffee, and I've learned that the super dark, black and oily roasts require a very quick cool-down. Otherwise, the beans continue to roast until you have basically charcoal. It's difficult to cool large batches quickly enough, so it's real easy to overshoot the mark.

The beans may very well be burned. I roast my own coffee, and I've learned that the super dark, black and oily roasts require a very quick cool-down. Otherwise, the beans continue to roast until you have basically charcoal. It's difficult to cool large batches quickly enough, so it's real easy to overshoot the mark.

I agree to the burned taste and have heard many who say the same, and I only drink coffee black. Yet from what I have read, the darker the roast the lower the caffeine level, but may I say holy crap, Starbucks is the only coffee that puts me in jittery mode.

Now I agree that some of Starbucks' coffees are roasted quite dark (and many are not), so when people say Starbucks is over roasted, it is akin to non craft beer drinkers saying they hate beer, never having tried many. But to suggest that they are accidentally roasting their beans too dark after more than 40 years...

That's like people getting "coffee" at Starbucks. If it has nuts, whip cream, caramel etc its not coffee

Haha I posted this comment before reading the last 2 pages of starbucks' remarks, sorry ;)

A buddy of mine has a kid that is almost at legal drinking age, he let his kid try his beer (natty lite) and the kid made a terrible "bitter beer" face.

His mom told him "beer is an acquired taste". I told him not to drink the **** that his dad does, and he can see just how good beer can be.

That like equating a McDonald's cheese burger to prime rib. They are both beef right (supposedly)?

A buddy of mine has a kid that is almost at legal drinking age, he let his kid try his beer (natty lite) and the kid made a terrible "bitter beer" face.

His mom told him "beer is an acquired taste". I told him not to drink the **** that his dad does, and he can see just how good beer can be.

That like equating a McDonald's cheese burger to prime rib. They are both beef right (supposedly)?

in other words

BLASPHEMY.png

for BMC? or for good beer?

Yeah I know. Acquired taste or not, if you like a wine, there is a beer for you. If you like liquor and juice, well... maybe you need a little stockholm syndrome.

Just dont ruin the poor kid for frat parties.

For me it's not the appeal of drinking it, it's formulating a drinkable recipe.

Liquid nitrogen? :D

I agree to the burned taste and have heard many who say the same, and I only drink coffee black. Yet from what I have read, the darker the roast the lower the caffeine level, but may I say holy crap, Starbucks is the only coffee that puts me in jittery mode.

That's possibly due just to the quantity of coffee per ounce of water. They use a lot. I like Starbucks. I like their dark roasts. I like dark roasts in general, so make that's why it doesn't taste burnt to me.

Now I agree that some of Starbucks' coffees are roasted quite dark (and many are not), so when people say Starbucks is over roasted, it is akin to non craft beer drinkers saying they hate beer, never having tried many. But to suggest that they are accidentally roasting their beans too dark after more than 40 years...

Agreed. They make coffee that not everyone likes, but they certainly know what they're doing. I might think some porters taste burnt, too, but it doesn't mean the malt roasters are incompetent.

Latest posts

Back