Fermentation Stuck?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BenJSpain

Reaction score
I am using Wyeast Irish Ale and I inadvertently pitched it when the temp was still in the 80s (F). I threw it into the fridge to let it cool for the day and I came back to it when it was 60F. I took it out and it took 3 days to see any airlock activity and held at 72F. Then for the next 3 days it went crazy. It stopped and I figured it was done after a week in Primary. When I opened the plastic fermenter there was a spongy layer of yeast covering the entire top of the wort/beer. I took a gravity reading and it was still at 1.030! The FG should be 1.008-1.014! Did I shock the yeast? I understand ale yeast is top fermenting but I have never seen it create a solid mass on top of the fermenter before. What should I do? :confused:

Ok. I realized that maybe I am over thinking again... Here's what I plan on doing. Allowing the beer to ferment for another few days checking the Gravity every other day. If the gravity stays at a static 1.030 then I will search for ways to jump start the yeast back to life. If not I will wait until I hit my mark then cold crash it and rack to secondary. I have a feeling that I'm getting impatient. I will post my results to help any novice brewers like myself.

Ok. I realized that maybe I am over thinking again... Here's what I plan on doing. Allowing the beer to ferment for another few days checking the Gravity every other day. If the gravity stays at a static 1.030 then I will search for ways to jump start the yeast back to life. If not I will wait until I hit my mark then cold crash it and rack to secondary. I have a feeling that I'm getting impatient.

Follow your instincts here, you ARE getting impatient. No need to check gravity every other day either, wait another week, even two.:mug:

+1
Checking it more frequently will only add to the possibility of infection. Let it go for some time, maybe rouse the yeast after a week or so, let it go for another (like colo said), then check it.

Yeah. I feel really dumb today. Oh well. I'm going to start working on Temp control. Do you think it's too late to cool it to 65F? I'll use the ice water/towel/fan method seeing how my highest setting on the fridge will be too cold.

Yeah. I feel really dumb today. Oh well. I'm going to start working on Temp control. Do you think it's too late to cool it to 65F? I'll use the ice water/towel/fan method seeing how my highest setting on the fridge will be too cold.

Not at all, the warmer temperatures to start will actually help get the yeast in gear, and cooling it now will give you a cleaner (but slightly slower) fermentation. I use water/towel/fan method, but switch out frozen "Simply Orange" bottles a few times a day

Back