All of my beers taste a little different.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grrtt78

Reaction score
I have made two batches that i have had a chance to drink so far and i am very happy with them but they all taste a little different. Its not just aging either, they all taste a little different? is that normal? what could have caused it?

Different ingredients, different yeast, different temps, adding your hops at different times... there are tons of factors. In fact, being consistent is one of the toughest things for homebrewers to do

well, there are lots of reasons beer tastes different. Did you use the exact same recipe, exact same temperature, exact same yeast, exact same amount of water?

Post your recipes and we can see why you have such a difference.

Lorena

grrtt78 said:
I have made two batches that i have had a chance to drink so far and i am very happy with them but they all taste a little different. Its not just aging either, they all taste a little different? is that normal? what could have caused it?

Welcome to the reason homebrewing is so great. Think about this: Each time you drink the last bottle/draft of a particular batch, you are drinking the last beer of its kind on the earth . . . in the universe, even. No matter how much we try to duplicate our efforts, each batch will be slightly (and wonderfully different).

:eek: . . . uh . . . am I the only one who thinks like this every time I finish a keg? :eek:

lorenae said:
well, there are lots of reasons beer tastes different. Did you use the exact same recipe, exact same temperature, exact same yeast, exact same amount of water?

Post your recipes and we can see why you have such a difference.

Lorena

WERD! There are far too many SMALL variables that will make your beer taste different. If you had a beer that tasted spot on the same everytime, you'd probably get bored of it really fast, so rdwhahb!

Do you mean the two batches taste different, or each bottle (of the same recipe) tastes different than other bottles of the same recipe?

Welcome to the reason homebrewing is so great. Think about this: Each time you drink the last bottle/draft of a particular batch, you are drinking the last beer of its kind on the earth . . . in the universe, even. No matter how much we try to duplicate our efforts, each batch will be slightly (and wonderfully different).

One of the things I'm really looking forward to!
My first batch is in primary, and will go to secondary this weekend.

I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas to get here already... can't wait to try my first homebrew!

grrtt78 said:

I'd say it probably IS just aging. The first beer I made tasted incredibly different a week after bottling versus two months after bottling, or even two weeks after bottling. It was borderling undrinkable after the first week, but it kept improving.

The only other possibilities would be bad sanitation, such that some bottles are infected, or oxidation in some bottles, or uneven carbonation.

I mean like beers in the same batch will taste different. Some taste a little more bitter and some are really malty and i could hav one that is malty one day then a few bitters and a few days later find a malty one again.

grrtt78 said:
I mean like beers in the same batch will taste different. Some taste a little more bitter and some are really malty and i could hav one that is malty one day then a few bitters and a few days later find a malty one again.

That's kindof weird, then.

Do you always drink them at the same temp? Straight from the fridge, a beer will taste more bitter. As it warms up some, the malty flavors come out more.

The only thing I can think of, for different tastes within a batch:

Inadequate mixing of the beer & priming sugar (was the carbing level different when you popped them?)

Sucking in of sediment to the bottles (the last few will taste a bit different)

Different cleaning techniques of, or residue left in, your bottles.

There may be others, but I sure can't think of them and even with the above, there won't be a "significant" difference.

Back