Do i need to completely cover hops for dryhop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TechyDork

Dork of all Tech
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have started dryhopping my IPA with 1.5oz Cascade, and 1.5oz Amarillo. My question is do i need to add some water to completely cover the hops, or will they eventually sink down and cover themselves. I am dry hopping in a 5 gallon carboy and have it full to point where it starts to narrow and curve. i know it will be a PIA to get those hops back out, but the spicket broke on my bottling bucket as i was preparing to transfer to it for the dryhop. :(

Dustin

They'll eventually reach a point where the become so saturated that they sink quite a bit. If you want to, gently rocking the carboy every once in a while helps "wet" the floaters.

They'll eventually reach a point where the become so saturated that they sink quite a bit. If you want to, gently rocking the carboy every once in a while helps "wet" the floaters.

I have been giving it a very gentle roll every time i think about it, being very carfull not to splash the brew around to much. I thought they would eventualy become beer logged and sink down a bit, but i just needed some backup on my thinking. ;)

thanks YooperBrew

Back