Foaming problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bleppek

Reaction score
Maybe someone can help me out here. I'm drinking from my first keg, which I have 13psi of CO2 on. I used the set it and forget it method and started carbing it 3 weeks ago. I have 7 ft of 3/16 inch beverage hose and serve through a perlick faucet through a fridge door. I seem to be getting way to much foam through my faucet. To try to figure things out, I hooked up my 12 foot soda line up to a keg of water set at 13psi and this seems exactly the speed I would like to pour at (about 10 seconds for a pint vs. 7 seconds on the 7foot). Are there any problems with my setup that I should be looking at that could be causing my foaming problems? Seems like everyone else gets perfect pours with about 5-6 feet of line at this pressure.
Should I just go with the 12 feet of line and not worry about it? I would appreciate any help here.

You now need to set the pressure to about 3-5 psi to dispense the beer. You only need 13-15 psi initially to carbinate. Now the beer is carbonated, you only need enough pressure to force the beer from the keg to the glass.....

Beermaker said:
You now need to set the pressure to about 3-5 psi to dispense the beer. You only need 13-15 psi initially to carbinate. Now the beer is carbonated, you only need enough pressure to force the beer from the keg to the glass.....

Disagree- if the pressure is set to 3-5psi, the contents of the keg will slowly 'outgas' and become almost flat. There's something else wrong. I keep all of my kegs at around 10-14psi and have no foaming problems.

Is this just the first pint you pour off, or is it continuous? If there's any part of the 'pour' side that is not fully refrigerated (like the tap) the first beer will always be foamy.

If not, then it could be that 13-15 is too high a level for your beers and is overcarbonating them, try a few psi less.

It seems to be all of the beers, not just the first. I can try a few less psi on the next keg. This one is almost gone anyways.

Make sure you FULLY open the tap quickly. Opening slowly due to fear of foam causes more foam. Tilt the hell out of the glass at the beginning and then begin to upright the glass once there's an inch or so of beer at the bottom. Also, find the page about balancing your system and go through all of the equations - that should help.

Back