Excited to start!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sok454

Reaction score
Well i got my stuff from Midwest over the weekend. I ordered the big starter kit w carboy. I am worried though as the recipe I got was the Irish Stout (love stouts) and I was not thinking that it would be as advanced as it is. I think I'll need to re-read some of the chapters in Palmers book!

I am very excited to start though that is for sure!!!

Ask your questions and I'm sure the brewmasters on this forum will get you through. I can't imagine it is too complicated for you. Good luck, happy brewing, and welcome!

I don't think there is anything special or difficult in making an Irish Stout as compared to the majority of beers out there. The process is pretty much always the same. The big difference with Stouts is that they use roasted malts to get the dark color and roast flavor. The process is the same.

Thank you! Just wish I had the time to start it this weekend!!! Maybe I'll stay up tonight and get it going.... Would like to have it ready for Thanksgiving/Xmas.

Good preparation is important and it sounds like you're on the right track. Definitely post any questions you have about the process.

Thank you! Just wish I had the time to start it this weekend!!! Maybe I'll stay up tonight and get it going.... Would like to have it ready for Thanksgiving/Xmas.

This is my advice, take it for what it's worth.

My experience is that rushing into a brew with short time allowed causes errors. If you feel you have the process understood, then go for it. I'd want to step through the process once ahead of time, pretending to transfer water, chill wort, etc. just to make sure.

Nothing worse than finding out you are missing something, or didn't do something right and next thing you know it's 3 am and you have a mess to clean up.

Don't get me wrong, brewing is not hard, but that first time can be a little crazy.

My goal today is to write out my instructions so i am familiar with them. Think that will help me mentally prepare!

This is my advice, take it for what it's worth.

My experience is that rushing into a brew with short time allowed causes errors. If you feel you have the process understood, then go for it. I'd want to step through the process once ahead of time, pretending to transfer water, chill wort, etc. just to make sure.

Nothing worse than finding out you are missing something, or didn't do something right and next thing you know it's 3 am and you have a mess to clean up.

Don't get me wrong, brewing is not hard, but that first time can be a little crazy.

This, its also good to write out steps even if you know what they are. I cant tell you the number of times i have my mash tun going, and i decide to go do something else...then get back as it ends and realize I forgot to heat batch sparge water...its harder to fall into these traps with extract since there isnt many points where you can walk away for extended durations, but still go through it in your head.

This, its also good to write out steps even if you know what they are. I cant tell you the number of times i have my mash tun going, and i decide to go do something else...then get back as it ends and realize I forgot to heat batch sparge water...its harder to fall into these traps with extract since there isnt many points where you can walk away for extended durations, but still go through it in your head.

This crazy crap still happens to me. Mash in. Ok, time to pour a glass and check HBT, or go do some other thing and 60 minutes later...

Ooops. No hot water for sparging. Or I forget to check preboil gravity and pH, or some other thing.

Extract is much more forgiving, but still, it pays to prepare.

Good luck!

How much time should I assume my first batch will take? I am using Extract.

My first took me about 3 hours from getting things out to putting things away. That was a partial grain where I steeped for 10 minutes and heated to boiling from there. Time will depend on boil size and your burner. I did 3 gal boil on a gas stove. Hope that helps.

My partial boil extracts run me a good 4 hours from start to finished with cleanup.

Does not seem that I will have time tonight to do it then. I am glad tonight is our last football practice!

Yes, I would estimate probably 4 hours if nothing unexpected pops up. You could probably take that down a bit as you get good at it. Kind of depends on how fast you can heat stuff, whether you use pre-hopped extract or need to boil the hops for an hour, and how fast you can chill your hot wort.

Thanks guys for all the input. Are most of you doing your fermentation in a carboy? or just the plastic bucket?

it depends on what I have empty at the time, I have a 6-1/2 gallon bucket, 7.9 gallon bucket and 6-1/2 gallon Better Bottle that I use for primary.
I have 2 glass carboys, both 5 gallon and I use them for secondary (when I do a secondary)

When you do a secondary how are you transferring from first to the carboy?

Ok that's what I thought! So do you do primaries in yoru carboy much? Since its my first batch I'd really like to see the fermenting etc...

I never primary in my glass carboys, they are only 5 gallons and are not big enough to handle the krausen.
I ferment in my Better Bottle when it is empty.
I have a cream stout I will be making soon, I expect alot of krausen with that one so it will go in my 7.9 gallon bucket.

Ok that's what I thought! So do you do primaries in yoru carboy much? Since its my first batch I'd really like to see the fermenting etc...

Voyeur! Do you know what the yeasts are doing in there? They might want a little privacy. :cross::D

I'm preparing to do a stout as well so I guess I'll use my bucket for primary. Don't hink i'll do a secondary even though it says in the instructions you can. So excited...

That Irish Stout kit was my second brew......turned out great! Give it 3-4 weeks time before you bottle no matter what the instructions say..... Good Luck!

Nother dumb ? I want my secondary to be 5 gal for carboy right? but if I am going to use one as a primary i want a 6.5 gal?

Yeah you need a bigger vessel for primary. Lots of krauzen, so you need a good amount of headspace to handle it. KISS - buy one bucket and one 6.5 galling carboy. Buckets are always handy, and you have a carboy that will handle primary or secondary at your choosing.

Yeah you need a bigger vessel for primary. Lots of krauzen, so you need a good amount of headspace to handle it. KISS - buy one bucket and one 6.5 galling carboy. Buckets are always handy, and you have a carboy that will handle primary or secondary at your choosing.

Brewcraft makes nice 8 gallon buckets, honestly i think every LHBS should sell these and not the tiny 5-6 gallon buckets and carboys they sell as primaries, in most cases(atleast here) the 8 gallon bucket is cheaper than a 5 gallon better bottle by a few bucks anyways. You can ferment the biggest wheat or imperial beer 5 gallons you want in there, it will never need a blowoff.

I have two 8 gal buckets and like five 5 gallon BBottles, can always keep 2 fermenting and use the 5 gallon bottles for secondary's when there's no fermentation and i just want to(or need to because no kegs) age a beer for a bit. Most brews stay in the primary bucket, only coming out to go into a keg or secondary if i need the bucket for another brew.

yea, my 7.9 gallon (call it 8 ) is a Vino Vessel from Brewers Best, wine is made in 6 gallon batches so their primary buckets are bigger. The lid has a nice rubber gasket too, nice added feature.

Latest posts

Back