Aluminium for sparge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonClayton

Reaction score
I have read post for and against the use of aluminum for brew pots, while I am not starting that war again... what do you folks think about aluminium just for heating sparge water?
Do you think it could lead to off flavors? I purchased a nice ss kettle today for the boil.

If you're against aluminum for a boil kettle, then I'd say it would apply to any kettle, wouldn't it?

I use aluminum without any problems for all of my "stove top" brewing and will continue. But I can't see anything "magical" about aluminum that would make it work to heat up sparge water but not the boil. If you don't want to use aluminum, that's fine.

I'd avoid it. Stainless steel has proven to last far longer than aluminum. Just think about how pathetic it'll feel after about 1200 brews and that aluminum pot stops working.

Just kidding. I use aluminum for a kettle. So I don't see why not for a sparge.

If you have the money for stainless, and that's what you want, great, go for it. They're better pots, but don't expect better beer. But the people who say it makes better beer are just wrong, and are just justifying their own expenditure.

I can't see any reason why it would be problematic to use aluminum for heating water. I boil my wort in it, and have no problems with "off flavors."

I trend to agree with most of you, I too have used aluminum for the past year and a half or so and produced some very good beers in it. My last few batches have been a little off in my opinion and I don't think the pot had anything to do with it, but I found a really good deal on a SS pot - $50 at H-mart in Atlanta - so I picked it up. I don't really expect it to help, but needed a second pot anyhow and figured it could not hurt.

I am relieved to hear so many of you say that aluminum is ok, because locally, as soon as I say I think my beer is of, everyone in the local club immediately beats me up over my sub par pot that is leeching flavors in to my brew etc.. etc.. etc..

I should have phrased the question more like this - for those who actually think aluminum can make a difference in beer flavor, do you think the issue arises from the prolonged exposure to boiling temperatures? :)

My next batch will be done with filtered water, and better fermentation temp control. I also switched styles and picked up a Belgian dubel recipe. I think the key is going to be the better temp contro.

Mightscoop, I was in your area today. Have you had a chance to visit brewmasters warehouse? It's my understanding the website has been around for a while but they just launched the retail store. It was still a work in progress but the staff were helpful and the prices were very fair. Next time remind me to leave my wife at home, these weekends in atlanta get expensive with all the great shopping and restaurants :)

I should have phrased the question more like this - for those who actually think aluminum can make a difference in beer flavor, do you think the issue arises from the prolonged exposure to boiling temperatures? :)

On the contrary, most all evidence supports the fact that such temperatures help to oxidize the surface of the aluminum, making it much stronger and much less likely to influence flavor (or anything else). Not taking the time to build up such a layer is the only way problems could potentially arise.

Mightscoop, I was in your area today. Have you had a chance to visit brewmasters warehouse? It's my understanding the website has been around for a while but they just launched the retail store. It was still a work in progress but the staff were helpful and the prices were very fair. Next time remind me to leave my wife at home, these weekends in atlanta get expensive with all the great shopping and restaurants :)

Like it has been said, the boiling water actually builds up aluminum oxide on the pot and prevents the aluminum from leeching into your wort. Just make sure you do not use any oxyclean when you rinse the pot after use. Just use some water and a soft rag.

And yes, Brewmasters Warehouse is my LHBS. I live a couple miles from there :) Next time you're around, check out Wild Wing Cafe. They're in the corner of the same shopping center. Great wings and a pretty damn good beer selection. Cheers!:mug:

Back