First kegged batch!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ace_Club

Reaction score
Just finished kegging my Oatmeal Stout! :ban:

Everything went fine. Only one mistake while I was transferring and that was forgetting to put the corn sugar in the keg first! Not to worry, I just boiled it up and added it to the top of the keg. After pressurizing and venting the oxygen, I figured that the beer would be just fine. I even rolled the pressurized keg around a little to thoroughly mix it up.

The keg held pressure no problem (I was a little worried as the plastic gas dip tube was a little deformed).

One thing that I did learn, though. When siphoning to the keg, it would help immensely to have a spare racking cane on the keg end of the tubing. This would ensure that the beer siphons quietly into the bottom of the keg rather than having the tubing constantly curling and moving around. No big deal, but something I'll keep in mind for next time.

Can't wait to drink this in a couple weeks! Until then, I've got a British Bitter arriving from Brewmaster's Warehouse and will get that fermenting to start filling the pipeline!

Later.

The priming sugar wasn't a big deal. You only have to have it equally distributed if your bottling. This insures each bottle carbs up the same/properly. With the keg....it's just one big bottle. Good idea about the racking cane. I pretty sure I have a broken one that will work great. (Note to self.....steal this idea...LOL). Sounds like you did a great job. Welcome to the land of kegging!! Cheers!

Back