Derek1985 Brewing Spreadsheet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derek1985

Reaction score
After some revision and corrections, as well as expansions of the functionality of the user inputs, I am going to post a version of my personal brewing spreadsheet here.

My version that I have on my computer incorporates some stuff not found here including a popular water chemistry spreadsheet and Homebrew Dad's yeast calculator. They were removed from this posted version because for obvious reasons but it should be noted that I incorporated them into my personal sheet to have a complete brewing calculation system at my disposal.

Critique and improvements welcome.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1J_YzNX2EifzvfDhwPHbDzIpAk6I_BgUlCehzCCXfp2k/edit?usp=sharing

Looks pretty good, went through the calculations and they seem accurate but I'll look a bit more in depth later on.

UI improvement I would suggest would be to get rid of some of the gap spacing, and there's no reason to spread stuff out that much. Try and get each tab to fit on one screen.

The malt input could be done a little cleaner with data validation, which if you do you'll want to unmerge the coloumn of "Malt" in Malt Analysis Data sheet. This would let you type "Pils" and should show the matching possible malt types.

Put units in the coloum headers rather than a seperate coloumn. Ie "Original" becomes "Original (lb)" etc etc Add units to recipe scaling batch size.

Not sure what "r" is?

Oh yeah, Protect your data tables and non input cells!

UI improvement I would suggest would be to get rid of some of the gap spacing, and there's no reason to spread stuff out that much. Try and get each tab to fit on one screen.

Absolutely. That continues to be a work in progress.

The malt input could be done a little cleaner with data validation, which if you do you'll want to unmerge the coloumn of "Malt" in Malt Analysis Data sheet. This would let you type "Pils" and should show the matching possible malt types.

Interesting. I was trying to shy away from dropdowns because I thought they required macros. Will check it out.

Put units in the coloum headers rather than a seperate coloumn. Ie "Original" becomes "Original (lb)" etc etc Add units to recipe scaling batch size.

Good call. This would free up space as well.

Not sure what "r" is?

r is the water to grist ratio. I have been meaning to change that and just got used to it.

Oh yeah, Protect your data tables and non input cells!

Good point but i'm not terribly concerned about that. This is a duplicate, modified copy of my personal sheet. I put it up mainly for others.

:mug:

Fixed a few calculation errors I found floating around.

Fixed the Pre-sparge topoff value in the "Equal Runnings" section

Thanks for sharing. I will attempt to put it through it's paces on a future batch and see how it works for my process.

Thanks for sharing. I will attempt to put it through it's paces on a future batch and see how it works for my process.

I'd appreciate it.

This is really just for me and for public consumption. I just thought it had a fair amount of depth and maybe it would help people out.

I've used in now for 4 test mashes and 1 AG batch and it has been reasonably accurate.

Latest posts

Back