Fermentation Temps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talleymonster

Reaction score
I keep my house at 70* 24/7. But my primary says its closer to 78*. I understand that the activity of the yeast generates a small amount of heat, and the plastic bucket acts as an insulator. I would like to bring my temps down to around 70*.
My question is this:

Can I immerse my bucket in room temperature water? If the water stays at room temp, maybe that would help keep my ferment temps down?
:rockin:

Yes, you could do that. You could also put a bottle of ice in that water bath, too. I do that and keep a floating thermometer in the water. The water would be the same temperature as the beer. Another benefit for the water bath is it keeps temperature fluctuations to a minimum- it takes a long time for that much water to change temperature.

You could also do the towel and fan "trick"- put the towel in the water so it wicks up the side and blow a fan on it. This really has great cooling. I have an igloo cooler that I made a styrofoam lid for that works great. I just put some water in it and change out frozen water bottles every day or so. (See my gallery for pics).

Back