Caterpillar and eggs on hops, what to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

conpewter

Reaction score
I went out today to see a caterpillar on my Williamette plant. I wouldn't be too worried except for the eggs I found. What should I use to kill this?

EDIT: well obviously I can squish the caterpillar, but I mean to spray on the rest of the leaves to kill the eggs.

DSCF0062S.jpg

Depending on when you plan on using the hops you have the choice of pesticides or soapy water. If you are going to use them in the next week, mix a half cup of liquid dish soap in a spray bottle with a pint of water. Take the mix and generously spray down the leaves, making sure to get the mix directly onto the bugs and eggs. The soap will help remove the eggs and the fatty acids in the soap will kill any live insects. This can be a bit labor intensive. If you are weeks away from using them, any premixed garden brand insecticide will be fine. All over the counter insecticides break down very quickly in sunlight so the residual will be gone by the time you are ready to use the hops. Try and avoid anything oil based, and apply the spray when there is no direct sunlight. This will help avoid burning the leaves. :mug:

+1 for Dinbin's suggestion.

Soap is a good remedy for stuff like that.
If you're feeling nutty and can find one, buy a Mantis sack and hatch out some of those bad boys and let them loose.

It's similar to using lady bugs to control mites and just as interesting to watch.

Latest posts

Back