Ruined Beer, thanks storm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nytelyte

Reaction score
Well, while I was out on my wedding/honeymoon vacation, my keg of Kolsch and my keg of Blonde were just hitting the gas to carb up, my Bourbon Barrel ale was in its cool spot aging, and my Wee Heavy was sequestered to the fridge to continue its aging in a cold place (more a aging preservation spot, I know not much actual aging occurs at fridge temps), as while I was gone the house was going to be allowed to get up to 85deg and thats too hot for my poor beers..

And then the power went out because of the storm for 5 days during this heat wave. It came on during the day while we were on our way home.
Everything in the fridge is a total loss. Interior of the house got up to 92. Bourbon Barrel popped two bottles, chilling to taste one now. Kolsch is RUINED. Tastes like nasty aftertasted skunk water, gonna dump it unless someone knows a magic trick. Blonde is a little skunky, I might make it a 3rd or 4th beer and see how it goes, it might get the drain too. Wee heavy probably ruined, it was HOT in the fridge, I've not tasted it yet, its back in the closet, will get bottled probably soon.

Pretty unhappy about it at the moment. Having a good tequila margarita. Don't want to think about beer at the moment.:(

vader-nooooo-1.jpg

don't toss them! they might taste bad now while hot, but after some cool aging and time in a bottle/keg they might turn into something good. give 'em a chance.

don't toss them! they might taste bad now while hot, but after some cool aging and time in a bottle/keg they might turn into something good. give 'em a chance.
DeafSmith said:
They've been cold and in the keg since Wednesday, and I'll likely give the blonde a chance as its not TOO bad... But I can only fit two kegs in my 'rator. Will they age off gracefully if they are pulled out of the cold and left to sit at regular aging temp?
Nervous about the wee heavy. I was really looking forward to it, it is just now right at its 3 month aging and was ready for bottling.
Good news, the bourbon barrel is actually still OK. :mug: It seems to have a bit more aging to do but it tastes like it handled the heat just fine. *phew*

+1 on the generator. I'm going to pick one up, and had planned to when we move into the new house (mostly for the sump pump and fridge) but in this case it wouldn't have helped me very much. Oh well.

Back