Another critique this IPA Grain bill ( brewing first AG tomorrow )

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thehopguy

Reaction score
I want to brew an IPA using WLP 001 and this is my grain bill. i would like to see what some more experienced people think about it though.

12 lbs 2 row
.5 lbs Carapils
.5 lbs Crystal 20, maybe 40

Hows this lookin? im still deciding on the hops and schedule.

You probably will get enough head without the carapils, but .5 lb is not gonna hurt it. I would do half the IBU's at 60 min and then the rest at 20,10,5 and 0 minutes to make up the other half of the IBU's. I run my IPA's @ OG of 1.065 or so and about 65 IBU's max...unless your a junkie. :tank:

You probably will get enough head without the carapils, but .5 lb is not gonna hurt it. I would do half the IBU's at 60 min and then the rest at 20,10,5 and 0 minutes to make up the other half of the IBU's. I run my IPA's @ OG of 1.065 or so and about 65 IBU's max...unless your a junkie. :tank:

I'm no junkie but haven't made an IPA with less than a 1/1 BU/GU ratio in a long time, actually never :)

back to the post, that is a simple grain bill and will let the hops shine through so that is the real recipe, what are you doing for your hops?

Good if your going for a lighter colored ipa, i like using crystal 60,sometimes a little 120.Seems i get just a sweet malt taste with 20 and a caramel roast malt with 60+ both good just different of course. Hops?Yeast?

Back