Yeast Bombs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomtom

Reaction score
Today I am brewing EW's Haus Pale Ale. This will be my second AG batch and I botttled and saved the yeast cake. So I took one out of the frodge and shook it up to mix the trub with the beer that was seperated from it and decided I needed to bleed off some pressure. Well... it was a yeast foam bomb almost. i bled off a bunch of foamy yeast and put it back into the fridge. I guess it will be ok to pitch???? HELLLLPPPPP!I will need to pitch my yeast in about two hours.:D

Yeast + Beer = CO2. Bottling the yeast cake = a small amount of CO2 in solution that can gradually equalize pressure with its environment. Shaking CO2 in solution + releasing pressure mechanism (cap) = Explosion of liquid.

In short... yes. You're fine. Use it. All is well. RDWHAHB. Now go focus on brewing that batch. :)

Next time, don't uncap till you're ready to pitch it. Spray the bottle and the bottle opener both with some StarSan / (insert your sanitizer here), let drip for a moment, then uncap the bottle directly over the bucket/carboy funnel/etc. Then, the foam goes where you want it to go.

Cheers!

Also - for an easier way, use sanitized 20oz plastic soda bottles, or 1-Liter tonic water bottles (that's what I use) - and leave 2" of headspace. Then you can twist to remove pressure, and quickly re-cap it as you see the mountain of liquid approaching the neck of the bottle. Less mess that way, and you don't waste any bottle caps! :)
n307400052_62896_8857.jpg

Kool, that looks like the ticket. I'll try that next time. Thanks for the quick reply.

No problem! :) How's the brew going? Nice day down there, or too warm? I'm sweatin' here and it's only 81*f. :p

It went very well today. Beer's now in the fermentor in my shop. I have a 60 qt. Igloo Cube that it resides in and I keep a couple of 16 oz. bottles of ice in it to keep the temps down.
Right after I put the airlock on we had a nice evening shower that cooled things off a bit. My guess is that it was in the upper 80's today. Typical CFL afternoon. I'm ready for some cooler weather though. Time for another cold homebrew.

Back