Effects of Acidulated Malt on Yeast Vitality

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EndlessWinter77

Reaction score
I am anticipating using Acidulated Malt for 5-8% of a grain bill for flavoring purposes and am curious how this might affect yeast vitality and flavor profile for future brews.

I am planning on using a lab culture of Wyeast 3726 for a brew containing 5-8% of Acidulated Malt; I intend to harvest and re-pitch the yeast for future brews and am concerned that the Acidulated Malt may alter the pH and/or flavor of the beer in such a way that would be detrimental to using it for future brews. My two concerns are the terminal pH being lowered to a level that would affect the vitality of the yeast, or the residual lactic acid levels (tart flavor) of the harvested yeast possibly throwing the flavor profile of a future brew.

According to Wyermann, 5-8% Acidulated Malt would lower the mash pH by up to 0.8 on the pH scale. Does anyone know how this drop may carry over to final wort pH and to terminal pH of the fermented product? Would it be anything to worry about? In addition, would the increased levels of lactic acid from such use of acid malt be strong enough to carry flavor over through yeast pitches to future brews?

Thank You

Yeast are commonly washed with phosphoric acid at pH 2. That's well below where your 8% sauermalz addition will take you. If yeast washing doesn't carry enough acid over to affect beer then the tartness of an 8% wort shouldn't.

Back