Adding lactic acid to a grisette post fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 336313

Reaction score
I brewed a grisette with Lallemand Farmhouse. It fermented quite dry and light (1,5 plato/ 1,006 FG), which was the idea of course. I used 8% acidulated malt and extra lactic acid to the maisch for a PH of about 5,0. I have since cold crashed it. I can definitely pick up on a slight farmhouse vibe, with a slight sour hint, but I wouldn't mind it being subtly more sour. Would adding more lactic acid at this point be a good idea?

You didn't mention how alkaline your raw water is and the overall amount of lactate ion might be in that finished beer. If the beer pH is in the 4.2 to 4.5 range, then its probably acidified enough. If you perceive that it's still a bit flabby and not crisp enough, then you could try a drop or two in a glass of the beer to see if that makes the beer better or worse to you. That's the real decider.

You didn't mention how alkaline your raw water is and the overall amount of lactate ion might be in that finished beer. If the beer pH is in the 4.2 to 4.5 range, then its probably acidified enough. If you perceive that it's still a bit flabby and not crisp enough, then you could try a drop or two in a glass of the beer to see if that makes the beer better or worse to you. That's the real decider.

The wort ended up at around 5,0. I haven´t measured the fermented beer. That´s a good point, I´ll do that today.

Back