Alcohol Content

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ras Skipper

Reaction score
Hi,

i want to find my alcohol content.

I know that you take an initial gravity and a final gravity..thats fine..

but..

in first fermentation i added all my malts etc...this stood for 3 days...the gravity came down from 1038 to 1016...then I added another 1kg (2lb?) of glucose powder. this raised the gravity back up to 1036.

after 7 days the grav' is down to 1006 and ready for sec' ferm'..

i dont think the normal way of reading the alcohol content will work in this situation...

can anyone shed any light on the matter..

Thanks

Skips

The glucose would have added the same number of points - 20 - had you added it pre-fermentation. Thus your theoretical OG is 1058, giving you somewhere around 6.7% with your FG. That's going to be a pretty dry beer.

Too dry? You're getting something very close to 90% attenuation with those numbers. What yeast are you using? Did I screw up?

Either way, as near as I can figure it that's where you stand.

Kai

great..thanks mate..was aiming for the mid 6's...found some great wild hops..(ala other post)..should be an interesting tipple :))

( how do we find out that the Kg of sugar has a value of 20???

(should i top up with a bit of water?)

Yields .020 in a 5gal batch, that is.

two ways:
1) Palmer (howtobrew.com)
2) Measurement (you had the measurements in your post)

I've never liked the idea of adding water post-fermentation. I think some of the big macros do, though, so it might be fine. Anyone know?

Back