Similar flavor in 2 different brews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

friscobrewer

Reaction score
I recently brewed biermunchers centennial blonde and am now bottling orfys mild mannered ale.

I have noticed a similar taste to both. They both taste like toasted cake. Like if you eat the remains off a white cake after it comes out of the pan. I assume it is coming from the grain, but both recipes are different so I am surprised to find the same taste in both. I assumed it was coming through in the centennial blonde because it was such a light ale. It is not a bad flavor, just surprising to find it in both beers.

I used nottingham in both, but have used it before and not tasted this in a ny other beer.

Any one have any thoughts or notice this?

I recently brewed biermunchers centennial blonde and am now bottling orfys mild mannered ale.

I have noticed a similar taste to both. They both taste like toasted cake. Like if you eat the remains off a white cake after it comes out of the pan. I assume it is coming from the grain, but both recipes are different so I am surprised to find the same taste in both. I assumed it was coming through in the centennial blonde because it was such a light ale. It is not a bad flavor, just surprising to find it in both beers.

I used nottingham in both, but have used it before and not tasted this in a ny other beer.

Any one have any thoughts or notice this?

Toasted cake? Hmmm. I'm wondering what that flavor could be. It's been about 30 years since I've tasted cake, so I'm not sure what exactly that tastes like. Do you have any other descriptions?

It is a very grainy flavor. The toasted cake was my best description. Maybe toasted grain. Both recipes have crystal malt in them so might be from that. The blonde has crystal 10 and the mild has crystal 60.

It's been about 30 years since I've tasted cake, so I'm not sure what exactly that tastes like. Do you have any other descriptions?

You need to have some cake...can't believe anyone would go 30 years without it.

Latest posts

Back