Nut Brown--Please Critique, Brewing soon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishinDave07

Reaction score
Recipe Type: Extract w/Specialty Grains
Yeast: Nottingham
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.0
Original Gravity: 1.038
Final Gravity: (1.008-1.014)
IBU: 21
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 16 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 20

Full boil, late extract addition

Ingredients

3.3 lb Amber LME
1.0 lb Dark DME
0.5 lb Crystal 60L
0.5 lb Victory Malt
0.5 lb Flaked Wheat
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (60 min)
1.00 Tbsp Irish Moss (15 min)
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (5 min)
1 Pkg Danstar Nottingham

So what do you guys think? Do you think i could add some CaraPils in for head retention?

sidenote: How much head can you get :D ? That is...is there a specific threshold that after you put in x amount of head retention ingredients (CaraPils, Flaked wheat, flaked oats, etc) it wont further affect the final product?

IMO this recipe looks like a train wreck and i'd like some help from my fellow HBT'ers!

Thanks guys,

Dave

The flaked wheat will help with the head retention, I wouldn't bother with the carapils. I'd up the victory as well, go for 1.5lbs at least.

sidenote: The more of any of those you add, the more they will move you away from your intended final product if all you're adding them for is to help with head retention. 3% wheat was always plenty when I used it, I don't use carapils and the only oats I use are in my oatmeal stout so I use quite a lot so I'm not sure about that one.

Latest posts

Back