carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phillipk

Reaction score
i started fermenting 5+ gallons of cider back in december (2010). its been aging in secondary since february (2011). my original plan was to let the yeast get at most of the sugars, leaving a real dry cider, and then lightly carbonate it off of a friend's kegerator. well, he just sold it...

think any remaining yeast will still be active enough if i add a little more juice or sugars? i don't want it to be too sweet.

i'm going for a sort of effervescent carbonation rather than lots of big bubbles. any help with this is greatly appreciated.

there should be plenty of yeast activity for carbing. could take a few weeks but should work fine.

I've had some trouble with carbonating pasteurized juice. It depends on the yeast too, but you could always be safe and add a little bit of yeast at bottling (worked well with me)

i don't know if this is an option, but i have some cider reduction that i made with UV pasteurized cider (gently simmered one gallon down to about one cups worth). would adding this in help give the yeast something to snack on for carbonation? and if so, any clue as to how much i'll need to use?

or am i reading this all wrong, and the current yeast, without anything added, could carbonate? i feel kind silly for asking all this. i've made cider a few times before, but its been a few years and I find I'm having a hard time figuring this all out in my head. thanks in advance for all the help!

Back