Temprature question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Redfish

Reaction score
I have 5 gallons that I brewed saturday doin its thing. It is an Arrogant Bastard Clone and I used White Labs Pacific Ale yeast. My question is that it is at 72 degrees ans has been for 2 days. Am I going to have issues with temprature.

Are you sure you use the Pacific Ale Yeast (White Labs - WLP041 ) and not the California Ale yeast (White Labs )

If you did in fact use WLP041, it prefers a temp between 65 and 68 and a 72 will give off more esters and tastes that may not be wanted.

If you are using WLP001 Cali Ale, it has a little wider range 68-73 and you will be within that range.

So what are you using?

Regardless of what yeast it is, if you're past 48 hours, the 'damage' is likely already done... That doesn't mean there is a problem, however. How long do you usually age for? A little extra aging would be a good idea to let the yeast clean up.

Unfortunately we can only tell you what you already know - That is was a bit too high. However, despite that, we can't actually say if it will or won't be ok, truly, we can't. But it's unlikely that it's ideal.

Just wait 'er out, and learn for next time. 50% of my beers were better for learning then they were for drinking!

I have a similar question:

I am fermenting a basic Hefe using WLP300 Hefeweizen.

I have a thermometer floating in the water bucket that's catching my blow off. A few hours after brewing it read 72. I went in last night and it was up to 80. YIKES!!! Apparently this dark, unused bathroom fluctuates temps a bit since its on the west side of the house. It appears the evening sun actually warms up the bathroom quite a bit.

It was bubbling like crazy 12 hours after the yeast was added, and there's been some blow off. Last night (48 hours later) the bubbling was down to just about once per 45 seconds or so.

Am I screwed? :(

Nope, carry on. Try to keep the temp down from now on though. Use a wet towel and a fan. It may not be the perfect brew, but it'll be beer and drinkable at that.

Are you sure you use the Pacific Ale Yeast (White Labs - WLP041 ) and not the California Ale yeast (White Labs )

If you did in fact use WLP041, it prefers a temp between 65 and 68 and a 72 will give off more esters and tastes that may not be wanted.

If you are using WLP001 Cali Ale, it has a little wider range 68-73 and you will be within that range.

So what are you using?

The pacific WLP041

Nope, carry on. Try to keep the temp down from now on though. Use a wet towel and a fan. It may not be the perfect brew, but it'll be beer and drinkable at that.

Thanks. The bubbling slowed significantly yesterday (48 hours after pitch) but it's still bubbling some. I was worried if the temporary 80 degree temp killed them off.

Thanks. The bubbling slowed significantly yesterday (48 hours after pitch) but it's still bubbling some. I was worried if the temporary 80 degree temp killed them off.

Bubbling isn't always the best sign of activity, the yeast can still be cleaning up after the party. and 80 degrees isn't anywhere near high enough to kill of yeast. It's just not their optimal conditions for fermenting beer.

Bubbling isn't always the best sign of activity, the yeast can still be cleaning up after the party. and 80 degrees isn't anywhere near high enough to kill of yeast. It's just not their optimal conditions for fermenting beer.

Great, sounds good, thanks. I will cross my fingers, and also try to swap bathrooms with my six year old since her's is cooler and more stable. :D

Back