First Lager, First time using YeastCalc

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davekippen

Reaction score
OK, brewing a 3 gal 1066 Lager. First time trying to actually figure out how much yeast to use.

Looks like YeastCalc says I need 274 billion cells
I left the Liquid yeast statistics alone
If I plug in 1.75L starter with stir bar, it tells me that I will get 291 Billion cells

Am I doing this right? So, if I dump my vial of WLP833 into 1.75 L of 1040 wort, I will get 291 Billion cells?? (I know, its give or take a certain percentage)

:drunk:

And a follow up question, how big can step 1 be? If ive got a vial of White Labs, what volume of wart is too much to start with?

Good deal, now you can't blame your failure on any one else. Just kidding! I've found YeastCalc to be very helpful and reliable. Sometimes I am surprised at the amount of yeast needed to do a brew. But it has never let me down...

I left the Liquid yeast statistics alone

Did you adjust for viability at least? (I think you enter the production/expiration date on the vial)

Depending on age, storage conditions, etc...it can vary significantly. Otherwise looks like you did good. :)

And a follow up question, how big can step 1 be? If ive got a vial of White Labs, what volume of wart is too much to start with?

I'd have to check the text to see what optimal growth rates were, but anywhere from 1-2L for the first step is generally going to be fine.

Latest posts

Back