Question about Oak Powder

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdavisonswim

Reaction score
I am brewing a TB Oaked Imperial Stout and accidentaly added the oak powder during the steep. Will my beer be ok or just really oaky?

Any suggestions to keep that from happening?

Thanks for the help

I am brewing a TB Oaked Imperial Stout and accidentaly added the oak powder during the steep. Will my beer be ok or just really oaky?

Any suggestions to keep that from happening?

Yes. Don't add the oak powder during the steep.

It probably won't turn out very oaky at all, since oak requires a bit of contact time to extract the flavors.

Yes. Don't add the oak powder during the steep.

It probably won't turn out very oaky at all, since oak requires a bit of contact time to extract the flavors.

Ok, thanks,

so all the oak powder would be removed in the bag? I would have thought it would have dispersed during the steep and then leave me with an over oaky brew.

Thanks for your help

Beer is a lot harder to mess up than most people think. Assuming that was the only "mistake" I'm sure the beer will be fine.

How is oak powder normally added? I know very little about it, knowing that would help me come up with some educated speculation. ;)

Nevermind, I got bored and searched and found this thread.

If some got into the boil you may have more tannins in there than you planned on. What sorta consistency is this oak powder? Is it like really tiny mulch, or is it practically sawdust?

Latest posts

Back